Mccelland Scottish woods- Syrian Latakia!!??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I'm curious to know if it blend pertains Syrian Lat. It's so damn creamy, smooth, and sweet that I want to say yes. However, I cannot find anyone to confine my thoughts. Jiminks and Pipestud both gave the approval of this blend and I must say they speak the gospel. So, if you have had it, what do you think?

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I have a couple of tins. McClelland re-released it in 2004 as a special NASPC show blend. It is very good. But, its a now, re-re-release from a time when I don't think there was any Syrian latakia being grown or at least sold as pipe tobacco leaf.Can't say for certain because these Levin Pipes Intl blends were coming out when I first took up the pipe.

Mike S.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
From tobaccoreviews.
JimInks (1185) 2015-03-24
The Virginias are a little tangy sweet, and act as a base for the other tobaccos. The Cyprian latakia is smoky, woody and sweet and plays well with the Oriental/Turkish, though I seem to notice the latakia a little less in the second half of the bowl as the O/T became more prominent. They are mildly sweet, but mainly woody with a few dry sour and floral notes. They are spicy, and as previously mentioned, more so after the half way point. The taste is dryer then, too. The spice may tingle your tongue just a mite, but this blend won't bite. Burns slow and cool with a rich flavor, and leaves just a little moisture in the bowl. I recommend a wide bowl for this blend and a moderate smoke rate to catch the full experience.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
From P&C:
Scottish Woods is a rich Scottish-style blend which was made by McClelland for the Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club. Plenty of deeply smoky Cyprian Latakia and lively Orientals give the blend an intriguing flavor and aroma, while matured Virginias add sweetness. What makes this a Scottish blend is the addition of stoved black Virginia, which is commonly referred to as black Cavendish in Europe.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Both are more recent offerings and advertise the use of Syrian leaf. Three Oaks was created by Tad Gage. It didn't, and still doesn't use Syrian leaf.

When McClelland was able to buy it, Three Oaks Surian was born.

Scottish Woods was, I believe, blended by Barry Levin. Barry passes in 1994. I see no reason McClelland would change to blend

To include Syrian leaf.

Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.