PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Thinking of pulling the trigger on Virginia woods, greyhaven, and deep hollow. I love frog Morton. Will I be dissapointed if I buy these?

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Deep Hollow is an aro. I don't care what it says on TR, there is a definite topping of maple/butterscotch or some such stuff. It's not too goopy and smokes fairly dry. I think Virginia Woods tastes very similar to Deep Hollow. Just thought you should know what you're getting into before ordering.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
Virginia wood is a typical McClelland Virginia, with a the Ketchup small. It is good but not special. I love the Frog Morton series and have tried the deep hollow it is a okay aro, again nothing special. Great Havens is good blend worth the price good the Virginia make it sweet and balances out the burley well.

If the froggie blends are a step from aros into latakias, the these three are steps from aros into virginias. I get enough tobacco goodness from the Deep Hollow to enjoy it early in the morning with breakfast cooking and a cup of coffee. The cavendish like casing is strong, but balanced with the Virginias to make it interesting. Its top notch in the heavily flavored aromatic category.
Now Virginia Woods you get the natural stoved Virginia flavor along with a much weaker cavemdish like casing. It's similar to Deep Hollow, but more subdued. A great all day smoke.
Greyhaven, is a Vaper with a slight casing. Let the tin set for a week after you crack it before smoking this. That casing has to air out. But, in a week, it'll blow a seasoned VaPer lover's mind. Great way to end a day, especially after some gumbo and cornbread. The perique is about medium to high, with spicy undertones, sweet and light from the match to deep and sultry at the finish.
I'm smoke these three as a set at the moment from squat bulldogs to tall dublins. They have something different and unique for the veteran Virginia lover as well as the newbie getting away from the world of goopy aromatics. But, if aromatics in any way offends you, then na, don't waste you time.

reniaeats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Not a huge fan of Virginia Woods, like others said, nothing terribly special. All the other Craftsbury blends are wonderful. Grey Havens is a particular favorite of mine, but it's nothing like the Frogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.