PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
NorthernNeil shared a bit of this when we met up last weekend (thanks again Neil) and I'm smoking a bowl right now. Complex, beautiful flavours. Is it true the blend changes from year-to-year?
Really starting to get a taste for the Vas and VaPers and understand they get better with age. Is the best way to cellar them for an extended period in the original tin or decanted and jarred?

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
It is true the blend changes from year to year. If you enjoy pure Virginias, there isn't a bad year--they're all top-notch. If you choose to go down the rabbit hole and invest in a year-by-year study, you'll find some truly sensational vintages--the 2010 release was a cut above, for me at least.

Regarding aging, keep them in the tins in a cool, DRY location and you'll be set. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of threads on the forums that will cover every aspect imaginable (and some unimaginable) of cellaring, if you want to spend the time searching and reading. It's definitely worth it, as pretty much any question you might have has already been asked and discussed. PipesMagazine.com is the definitive resource in this regard.
Enjoy!

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Is it true the blend changes from year-to-year?
Boy, do they. It's not a subtle change either. I found a couple of tins of 2012 at my local B&M and loved the stuff. So I surfed around and found a tin of 2003 online. Cracked it open last night. It's like they're two completely different blends. The 2012 is rich, sweet with a deep aged virginia flavor. It reminds me of a box of expensive chocolates. The 2003, on the other hand, is a bit tart with some nice citrus overtones. It also seems to have a bit more of a Vitamin N kick to it.
They're both excellent blends and I'll happily finish off both tins over the next couple of months. But they're surprisingly dissimilar.

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
OK call me an epicure
Ok, you're an epicure! :lol:
But I agree with you. The guy I bought the 2003 from has a couple more tins that I'll probably try to acquire, and I sacrificed some of my beloved Escudo on yesterday's TAD order so I could add two tins of 2013 and still stay within my budget.

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Kyrie, when you pop a can of the 2013 CC down the road, cube cut and load up a bowl and fire 'er up, think of me and how absolutely smart you were to go for it. :puffy:
Yeah, I reasoned that I can (usually) get Escudo any time I want, but the 2013 Christmas Cheer was a limited time offer. I plan on leaving them in storage for a few years before I open them. Although, after seeing how very different the 2003 is from 2012, my curiosity may get the better of me lol.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
The 2012 is rich, sweet with a deep aged virginia flavor. It reminds me of a box of expensive chocolates.
I opened mine around Christmas 2012, but it seems as if it's changed quite a bit in one year. When I first opened it, it was very different from what's described here. It had a sweet, fresh smell and a slightly "meh," sweet taste in the smoke. 6 months later, the open tin had gotten much sweeter and much more sturdy and complex. That's the great thing about Christmas Cheer -- it's full of surprises.
Plus, if you happen to be from the Carolinas or Virginia, then you actually know the places where these tobaccos came from as many of them come from a single crop from a specific field. The 2000 CC, if I remember correctly, was grown just a few miles from where I grew up on the NC-VA border. That's part of the attraction for me.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
@pitchfork--It had a particularly sweet and winey note for me, like a deep ruby port. At least that's what my notes tell me; alas, I'm out of 2010 and will be forced to move on to 2011.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
You guys are killing me. I've never tried CC.
I have a 2013 that I opened and jarred a couple months ago- I'm going to crack it at Thanksgiving. I also hav ea second tin that I'll leave cellar for awhile.
I also happen to know that I'm being given an unopened 2001 tin at Thanksgiving as a Christmas gift. I'm not quite sure what my timeline will be with that :)

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I have a tin of 1994 that I plan to pop this Christmas!

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I also happen to know that I'm being given an unopened 2001 tin at Thanksgiving as a Christmas gift. I'm not quite sure what my timeline will be with that
That was an exceptionally bad year for CC. I recommend you send it to me for immediate disposal. ;)
If you choose to keep it, enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.