PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
Ahhh, the classic red cake. Another wonderful staple of McC. This is a mild, mellow, easy burning blend which has notes of sweet red wine, grassiness, hay, and roasted nuts. This one is great to store/cellar and have on hand always for a simple yet simply satisfying smoke. These flavors are not over powering, but pure in their presentation, definitely an easy smoke to enjoy in dreams lost to the hours of a relaxing day or evening.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I'm thinking this might be the leaf used for Christmas Cheer this year as it's a red Va this year. The last time it was a red Va for CC was 2008 and that was my first time trying CC, and probably my favorite one yet.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Red Cake was the first straight VA that I found appealing mostly because it didnt bite the crap out of me when I smoked it. Kind if a straight VA with training wheels. Helped me ease into smoking and appreciating straight VAs.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
A great tobacco, and my go-to for breaking in a briar. My only gripe is that it does not seem to do well in small Dublins. I have been trying to use it for breaking in one, but it generates to much moisture in the bottom of the bowl, even after being dried for 48+ hours. Carter Hall will have to take over the breaking-in task.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
I have not tried any of the CC yet, but would like to. I love this for its straight forward flavor with just enough strength to satisfy with one bowl but not over power with 5..lol.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
There was a period of time about 11 years ago, when I was trying a lot of English and Balkan blends, that I came back to 5100 almost as a palette cleanser. 5100 is just like you say, seadog -- simple, sweet, easy. And relatively inexpensive, to boot!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I love this stuff in bulk!
Besides being good alone, it is a superb Va to use as a blending component.
I made a small batch of 50/50 #5100 and Perique ... BAM! :puffy:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I was smoking the Perique straight beforehand ... so that's a dilution, yes? :)
To me, once Perique gets to a really high percentage, it has a pepper/chocolate quality.
Reminds me somewhat of dark chocolate with cayenne ... yum.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
Interesting. smokingpipes.com appears to have it at $47.77/lb.
4noggins is a bit more expensive than smokingpipes, but cheaper than pipesandcigars.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
5100 is a wonderful smoke on its own and perfect when you want a Virginia as a principle leaf in a home

mix; it goes great with burley and Cavendish, for example, or many other homemade combinations.

It's the perfect morning or all-day mix, or anytime you want a flavorful mild smoke.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
It's been some time since I've smoked 5100, but I recall it being very different than Christmas Cheer 2014. The CC was red, sure, but it was very dry (i.e. not sweet) compared to the typical McC red VA.

waxmojo

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2013
5100 is one my favorites. May be on the mild side for some but I love the flavor with a bit of tang to it.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
woodsroad said:

1/2 Perique?

Discuss!
Half, say you?
wolverinescream.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.