PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I'm eager to work my way through them. I have had Classic Samsun so far. It is a lovely, medium-paced blend as far as nicotine and flavor.
I think there are a good number of reviews, but I'd like to work my way through all the Grand Orientals at some point.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I've only tried Samsun and Drama Res, didn't care for either, but pallets are different.
Do your own review and post, its not rocket science, just tell us what you think, what you like or dislike, I for one would like to hear your opinion.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
​Yenidje Highlander is my favorite! The sweet and savory of this blend are so interesting and just plain good.

Jun 27, 2016
Classic Samsun mainly has a smokey molasses BBQ thing going on. Interesting to try at least.
Smyrna #1- This stuff dries out my mouth and throat, so not a big fan because of that.
Katerini Classic- Not bad, a little VA heavy if you are looking to pick out the Katerini easily.
Yenice Agonya- This stuff is a little weird to me with a powerful initial tin note of coconut suntan lotion. Nothing in the description indicates that it is flavored, but the tin note is really odd to me for an unflavored blend. On the other hand, I get some mild coconut lotion tastes in the smoke of one or two other unflavored blends from other companies, so I don't know what to make of it.
Yenidje Supreme- Not bad, a little easier to pick up the Yenidje over the VAs in this compared to the Katerini. However, this Yenidje is maybe a little more lemony sweet vs. pine flavor later on in the bowl, so it's not as strong during the second half of the bowl as say the Yenidje in White Knight, which to me has much more of a pine-sol kick to it later on.
Yenidje Highlander- One of my favorites. This has a light amount of Cyprian & Syrian Latakia in it. I have a couple 2007, 2014, and 2016 tins that I recently opened and am still comparing because some people were saying they tasted only VAs, but I got side-tracked a little. The '07 smokes more like a tin of Orient 996 (real big VA taste, very light Yenidje and Syrian Latakia taste) due to almost 10 years in the tin. This is not a bad thing, but it might be getting away from what the blend is intended to be. The '14 tin is my favorite and has the most flavor complexity of what I have, and the '16 might need some more time in the tin/jar, like a year or two, if it is to become what is in the '14 tins. I have to go back and compare those some more, but I could see people wondering what the hub-bub is all about if they smoked a brand-new, or a very old tin.
Drama Reserve- Good stuff. The VA and the Drama go well together, and you can get some good sweet coffee/mocha flavors going, plus the red VAs throw in some occasional cinnamon bread and tea-like flavors. You will get a cooling effect from this tobacco right before you overcook it. The semi-sweet mocha taste in this one reminds me of the first few puffs of a Camel Turkish Royal cigarette.
Black Sea Sokhoum- Have not tried this because I do not generally like cigar leaf, and it says "cigar-like flavor" right on the front of it.
:puffpipe:

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Well thanks for your comments,before any reviews, could be done,I must have at least more than one tine each tried,so my next order will definitely have some more of these,That Darma might be very well suited for me, this time going thorough first tin of Samsun,which I like much,though cant stop wondering,if this blend contains some burley leaf,some more experienced people say The Samsun is pretty much the same than The Black Sea Sokhoum although lighter in taste.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Yenijge Highlander is my favorite and one of my regular go to smokes.
If you like those you should also give 3 Oaks a try as well.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Have You mentioned,Straight Orientals without Latakia are now only a few and becoming rare ourdays-expesially In England and europe,perhaps this is partly due to quality leaf shortage wheter is that people tastes are changing,,

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I love VaOr blends, and the Grand Orientals are tops, especially the Drama and Smyrna versions.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Have You mentioned,Straight Orientals without Latakia are now only a few and becoming rare ourdays-expesially In England and europe,perhaps this is partly due to quality leaf shortage wheter is that people tastes are changing,,
My understanding is that a lot of non-Latakia oriental leaf is bought up by cigarette companies. I think Russ or some other blender at a small(er) company mentioned that the vendors for that type of leaf have an enormous minimum requirement for an order, suitable for such cigarette manufacturers, but a bit high for many smaller pipe tobacco blenders. Since the orientals are often used in smaller quantities in Latakia blends, I'd bet if blenders get their hands on the orientals, they are most hesitant to sell large amounts in a pure state where they could use them more conservatively in a condimental way.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
It's not so much as lack of availability due to Cig companies buying up all the Orientals. The fact is, the number of varieties grown has shrunk considerably so that there are very few to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.