PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
A mixture of fully ripe Virginia tobaccos, sliced, cask mellowed Burley tobaccos, dark spicy Cavendish and just a touch of Latakia. To give Plumcake an elegant aroma the blend has been flavored with aged Jamaica Rum.
Blend Type: English

Contents: Burley, Cavendish, Latakia, Virginia

Flavoring: Plum, Rum

Cut: Ribbon

Strength: Mild to Medium

Flavoring: Mild to Medium

Taste: Medium

Room Note: Pleasant
I have smoked this blend before, and was not the biggest fan of this blend, but saw a post her and decided to give it a 2ed chance. I smoked this blend on my lunch break at work. so I picked my biggest bowled pipe, and the mason mason jar with the tobacco in it with me. When I opened the jar the tin note was amazing, and the tobacco was mot to moist but not to dry. I packed the tobacco on the light side, and lit it up, it lit perfectly only going out one time at the end because I was talking. Even though I did pack it light and was tamping it lightly I was still getting a little bit of a tong bite (allot less them my first try of this tobacco). the room note was amazing, the guy who drives the snapple truck pulled in, and as he was unloading his truck he turned to me and said if only cigarets smelt that good and looked so classy to smoke. Overall I give this tobacco blend a 4 star rating and will be smoking it more often.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
I just got some of this and am anxiously awaiting to try it. Not a big latakia fan, so I am hoping some of the fruit and rum notes balance that out.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Tried it originally and not a fan, so it is resting in a mason and I will try it again in a few months.

CherokeeBilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2014
Granbury, TX
I have 2 tins of this and I am tempted to just open them and put them in a mason jar to settle down and age. I really want to try it but hear horror stories of the tongue bite straight from the tin.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
bulldog, thanks for the good review. This sounds like an appealing blend, and I especially like the burley, since

I'm one who like burley in a blend. With the flavorings, this sounds like it would fall within the aromatic blends,

or at least transitional blends. Part of the standard classification of English blends is that they don't have flavorings,

other than tobaccos such as Latakia or Perique. But the world of blending is becoming more complex, so the

categories are blurred. Maybe the retailers describe this as English. Anyway, thanks for the good review. I think

you've sold some tins of Plumcake!

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
huskysibe I would let it dry out a little, then put it in a jar to age mine aged for a year before I re opened it.
mso489 Thank you I love writing reviews, I hope they are good enough for everyone. I am a fan of barley in my blends, I also am a big english blends and know tht this blend falls into the gray depending on who you talk to. All that info other then the actual review is all from 4noggins.com.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Just opened a tin and tried it. It's way too sweet for my taste; almost like candy. It had no discernable latakia flavor, nor could I taste any hint of rum. No noticeable tongue-bite, but I was careful to smoke it very slowly. I'm not a fan. Maybe once it's aged more... :|

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
frank13 maybe it is just not your tobacco, give it some age time and come bak to it you never know.

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
frank13 maybe it is just not your tobacco, give it some age time and come bak to it you never know.

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
I just bought some and tonight is my one day off this week... perhaps I will try some and get back to y'all... yes I said y'all.

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
frank you will find your blends you love but you will have to smoke allot of blends that you won't like to find the ones you like

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I like this blend a lot, i have tried it too moist straight from tin, too dry forgotten in the full sun, and just right with a bit of dry time...

The latakia is very much subtle, and the sweet notes are delicious...

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
Just tried the Plumcake. It's not what I thought it would be, but in a good way. It was not as sweet and fruity as I thought it might be. Very tasty still with a bit of nic hit. I like it.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I tried it right out of an opened tin and was not particularly happy with it but when I tried it again after a couple of months, it was far better. Don't know if it was the drying, although it was never open that long, or the aging. Not my regular smoke but a nice change of pace. 4/5 complexity, 3/5 room note, 2/5 bite and 4/5 burn. IMHO...

Status
Not open for further replies.