PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigred324

Lurker
Feb 26, 2015
Hey yall, so I have recently purchased a bunch of tobacco and I recieved Mac Baren Scottish Blend to teach me to smoke slow due to the heat. So I smoked it last night and can say that it was by far the most lacking. I did not taste anything. It definitely smoked warm but not hot, and failed to stay lit and was hard to light. I think it was moist because as I was smoking it I felt what assumed to be moisture and not smoke. Also I got no tongue bite that so many complain about with Mac Baren blends. Any tips or suggestions, would be appreciated

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
If you can, buy your tobacco 6 months or more in advance from when you will need it and let it continue to age in the unopened tin. If you need it sooner than that then break open the sealed tin, replace the lid and leave it in the tin for a few days to a week before smoking it. Or at a minimum leave a bowl amount of tobacco that you intend to smoke out on a dish or paper towel for 15-30 minutes before you smoke it to dry further. It will light easier and should stay lit for you, and you will notice that the aging if you store it first will bring out the flavor.
For long term storage after opening a tin, storing it in a glass Mason jar or Mylar Baggie is best.

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
OP, johnnyreb has it correct. Dry that stuff out, smoke slow, hit it with a char light, tamp, true light, sip it.

I never had MacBaren bite either, I think, but obviously not sure, but I think most guys especially just starting smoke way too fast.
I watched a few YouTubes and this one guy he was a bit young, maybe a mo-hawk, I'm not sure he was out on his deck doing a taping and my Lord, I thought to myself, this guy is saying to smoke slow and he is puffing like he is lighting a cigar lol.

Good luck to you Big Red, I'm sure with time and help from these good gentleman will have you smoking like a veteran in no time.

BTW, I saw your set up from another thread, all I have to say is, Nice! Can't beat a cob for a cool dry smoke, looks like you got a nice rotation there. I still have my original cob, over 5 years now, smokes better then the day I bought it and it's seen heavy use. Take care guys.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Nothing really to add to jr post about how to smoke.
Regarding tobacco: Sometimes Pipestud or 4noggins will have some aged tins for sale on their websites. If you are just starting out, it may benefit you to get one or two to get an idea of how much better some tobaccos do with age.
I have some MacB Scottish I got off ebay 18 months ago that is from 1979. That stuff is AWESOME!
Also, if you can get MacB Navy Flake with about 5 years on it, that stuff will slay you, too.
Welcome to the site and I hope everything works out for you!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Don't get consumed with that MB tongue bite myth, because it has nothing to do with brand. You can scorch your tongue on any tobacco if you try hard enough, lol. The advice on popping the tin to let the tobacco breath a bit after exposing it to atmosphere is a practice I follow stringently. Break the seal, replace the lid and give it 3-4 days, it changes everything. As an experiment and after you get some experience behind you, pop a tin and load a bowl. Carefully and methodically work your way through paying attention to the taste and burning characteristics. Close it up and wait a week, try it again, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how the flavors deepen and mellow and the sharp edges previously experienced just disappear.

bigred324

Lurker
Feb 26, 2015
Alright, I shall try and let it sit tomorrow for about 30 minutes to see if I notice a change. Hopefully it will be for the better and I can have something to report back and share.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Sometimes it's a matter of personal taste, too. Everybody raves about Molto Dolce, but all I could taste was sweet steam. On the other hand, Scottish Mixture is an all time favorite, but I have some friends that don't get a lot of flavor from it. Dry it out a little and give it a whirl, but sometimes blends just don't match up with your palette.

Status
Not open for further replies.