PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I was working security for an A-lister Christmas party in Aspen last nite. I can get wound tight around these type of people so I stepped out to have a smoke and calm the nerves. I was shocked at the number of people who came out and ask me about pipe smoking. It reminded them of their father or grandfather. Several had thought about taking up a pipe but it was just so socially unacceptable in their circles or it made them into a hipster. I talked about why I smoked a pipe and who it effected me. Several asked more detailed questions. Maybe the tide might be changing. Not one person criticized me for smoking. Of course, it is Colorado so they were puffing on the herb right beside me.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
I'm of college age, and I've been surprised by the number of my friends who have expressed positive reactions to my pipe smoking. I can assure you that they would not be so amicable if I switched to cigarettes!

In all of the time that I have been pipe smoking, I have had maybe two negative reactions, compared to overwhelming shows of interest, admiration, and enjoyment of the aromas. I have had mothers bring their kids up to see my pipe, people will ask to set next to me while I smoke, and it definitely makes other non-pipesmoking men curious and ask questions. And, time and time again, I will run into men who tell me that they started smoking a pipe because they saw me.
It's all in the way you carry yourself. If you are smoking a pipe with low self-esteem, looking like you are ashamed of it, people will react in kind. People can smell insecurities. You can't fake being self-confident. But, if you are confident, people will react positively to your pipesmoking. I firmly believe that.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
When you can fake sincerity, you've got it made! Agree, though with happy public smoking. Hot chicks comment to me, but, alas, it's because I remind them of their grandfather.
Had one bad one out of 50+ reactions, out for a walk at Waikiki and a woman pointedly covered her mouth and nose as she approached. No big whoops.

I had been shopping in the grocery store for a while and was already in the back of the store, meat dept, when I noticed that I still had my lit pipe in my mouth. I grabbed it stuck it in my shirt pocket quickly, but no one around me even noticed that I was smoking.
Now, if I had of slyly tried to sneak a puff, with my eyes scanning the crowd of shoppers, I would have been as obvious as a sore thumb, with alarms and buzzers going off all around me.
That's how the world works. If you look like you're supposed to be doing what you're doing, no one will think anything amiss.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Apparently you put across the pipe really well. So much of this kind of group reaction is situational. The few social events where I've smoked, outdoors, I've gotten considered neglect, which was fine, but no one warmed up and remembered their dad or grandpa.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
0QmLNmx
That's how the world works. If you look like you're supposed to be doing what you're doing, no one will think anything amiss.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Not so thrilled that some of the women said I reminded them of their father or grandfather. Definitely let's me know the nite is not going to end great.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Pipes and cigars to an extent do not carry the stigma of ordinary cigarettes. I smoke at the local pub in the designated area. If I get any looks, I don’t notice. I’m sure some may have an opinion one way or another, but I’ve gotten mostly positive inquiries. Or the buffoon who asks if I’m smoking weed.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Love the comments above. I concur with the statement that confidence is the key. About two years ago I started smoking my pipe openly in public. The general comments are nearly always positive. The biggest problem can be to act genuinely interested in the “my grandpa smoked a pipe” conversation and pretend it’s the first time you ever heard that.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I guess the times, they are a-changing:
61YtgE7PjIL._SY606_.jpg

Although I haven't been around long enough to know if this is a new phenomenon or not. Pipes are so much more pleasant to bystanders than cigarettes, I imagine they may have always gotten more of a 'pass'.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
We have very restrictive smoking laws in Ontario, you can't really smoke anywhere unless you're walking down the street. That said, only once I've seen someone smoke their pipe outside, and when I was driving by.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I'm lucky enough to have a park/playground right next to me and it happens to have a nice, shaded park bench that's well beyond the 20 meter (a little more than 20 yards) distance from the playground, as dictated by Ontario laws. Its right on the path to the playground and I regularly sit there and smoke when the weather permits. I've had quite a number of comments from people passing by, but every single one of them was positive including my two favorites
From a young man, maybe 20-25 years old who stopped, took a deep breath and said "damn dude, that smells freakin' amazing"
From a woman, maybe 35 years old, who also stopped and said "my favorite uncle died a year ago and I miss the smell of his pipe, thank you for the reminder"
Overall, life is good with a pipe :)

franklyn22

Lurker
Aug 10, 2017
I recently visited California and was chatting with the lady that owns a local pipe shop there and she said in some cities there you can be pulled over and ticketed by the police for just smoking in your car while driving on the road if you pass by a building that is within the 50 or 100 feet or whatever the distance is from the road. I could not even believe that one. Maybe times are changing somewhere but not in California!

Status
Not open for further replies.