PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've become enamored with vintage pipes. I envision a computer driven stem cutter capable of scanning the mortise of your pipe and generating the stem of your choice. Pre-loaded standard types as well as anything you could dream up. Well..this is sort of a dream.

That's probably how most stems are made anyway. CAD and 3D computers or automated machinery.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Kinda takes the 'love' out of it. My thoughts were motivated by orphaned old briars and quality vintage smokers with beat up stems.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I've often wondered what 3D printing will do to our hobby. It seems as though a pipe is perfect for them.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I just think it is inevitable that the technology will expand to include other materials. When that happens creating other objects out of these materials will happen. In fact, I'd think wood would be one of the first new materials it expands to.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That might be a kind of side application of the technology. Pipe production in itself probably isn't high volume enough to

generate the technology in itself. I've always wondered why some pipe manufacturer hasn't gotten into laser engraving of

pipes -- which could be tasteless or brilliant depending on how the designing was done. I'm glad that the industry has mostly

stayed somewhat lower tech and the workshops still look like wood working shops in the main. I might be surprised if I looked

more closely at how pipes are made.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
That's probably how most stems are made anyway. CAD and 3D computers or automated machinery.
There are a lot of ways to make stems, but most are molded in the rough shape they want, then shaped to fit and remove mold marks. That's been the standard for decades, it is probably the most "traditional" way to make a pipe stem.

They can also be cut from rod stock in a fraising type setup, or by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.