PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Unique pipe rack? Maybe I have a weird taste in objects because I was the only person to enter a bid on this one. Would anyone else want this rack or was it just me? I'm going to use it for my straight (Virginia) billiard pipes. For only $7.00 it's all mine! Yes, but an additional 12.50 shipping. The shipping charges I think hurt so many really nice pipe stands from being sold.
uniquepiperacks.jpg

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I like it, i'd have bought it. Not a fan of that eagle thing on top, but that could be replaced.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Nice buy! It does have the streamlined thing going, so the straight up eagle doesn't quite work. Why not replace it with something like this:
8cc11963-f294-452c-bd8e-711555fb97a7_zps071ef476.jpg

May 31, 2012
You have a good eye!
I was watching that thing, I think that was the 2nd listing of it too.

I think it's a great design.
If I remember correctly, the seller said it was handmade?

Whoever did it, did it very well.
Sort of has a Danish look combined with streamlining.
Congrats man on the nice rack!

:puffy:

judd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2014
Less than 20 bucks, that's a bargain. It'll be great for your straight stem pipes.

stiivn

Lurker
Mar 12, 2014
Good to see some variation and imagination when it comes to pipe racks. There seems to be an unwritten law that even home-made units must all include Nineteenth Century decoration, curlicues and whatnot.
Which is better - keeping pipes with the stem or the bowl facing down?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"Which is better - keeping pipes with the stem or the bowl facing down?"
Preferences have changed over the decades. Some 19th-century pipe racks held all the pipes stem-down. You occasionally see some 20th century racks that follow suit. But I think the majority believe that bowl-down is preferable. Any moisture remaining in the pipe after a smoke will then move to the bowl, where it can evaporate. With the stem down, moisture will move into the mouthpiece and either drip out or collect there, making a pipe bitter when you put it to your lips.
Bob

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That does have a Danish look to it, I think it is very handsome. Don't be afraid to cut those o-stem holes into u-shapes if your pipes don't fit. You are right, most of the time the shipping is more than the rack.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Thanks guys for all the nice comments.
tuold, yes I think I'll change the emblem as suggested. I like your idea as it would look much nicer and more slimlined.
Does that cover come off?
Allan, Yes it doubles as a humidor.
Al, I'll probably take your advice to and cut the holes. With a little sanding and staining once completed it should look as if it orginally came that way!

Status
Not open for further replies.