PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpants

Lurker
Oct 23, 2012
Even though I just received 2 new to me pipes I have found myself browsing around thinking of what next.... and well I'm thinking just maybe a Churchwald style... any suggestions oon an affordable one that is of good quality?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have one. It smokes pretty well, but I tend not to smoke it too often. Right now I'm more into clenching and it's kinda tricky to clench a churchwarden. Definitely look into Peterson and Savinelli. I've heard they have some pretty good offerings for under $100.

orionpyoung

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2012
Marquette Michigan
I'm not to pleased with my Peterson churchwarden. It builds condensation very quickly and gurgles no mater how slow I smoke. The only gurgle free smoke I've gotten out of it was Peterson's Irish Flake. So the pipe is reserved for feast day's, when I'm ready for a small bowl of the strong stuff. The fit and finish isn't that great either. The next one I would like is a Stanwell Hans Christian Anderson as I have heard only good things about this line.

cardician

Lurker
Oct 28, 2012
I found a corncob churchwarden in a flea market (it was brand new).
Very light, no gurgling, sweet!
I checked Missouri Meerschaum but nothing listed as current. Perhaps a phone call will locate one.
It's a great pipe
Joe

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Missouri Meerscahum hasnt made churchwardens in a long long time. I'm thinking the 1980's but could have been as late as the 90's ? I have a couple of them myself, but you got really lucky to find one !

Of course you can always have a churchwarden stem made for a MM, I think Walker Briarworks does them. But it is rare to find an OEM MM Warden.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
any suggestions oon an affordable one that is of good quality?
Send Briarbird a message here on the forum. I dont know what he has up his sleeve, but he mentioned recently something about making a batch of churchwardens.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
I have a Mayflower Churchwarden, box with pipe has not been opened since 1959 when a tobacconist went out of business. The stores remaing stock was handed down to relatives who once in awhile will sell something.

cardician

Lurker
Oct 28, 2012
Thanks for the lead, lonestar !
I was unaware of Walker Briarworks - I am going to have a lot of fun exploring that site.
Cardician

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
I just got one from p&c the other day for about $45. The brand is Roma. Definitely not a high end pipe but it smokes great. I was in the same position and just wanted to try a churchwarden. My only complaint is that they seem to have coated the inside of the bowl with a weird finish that imparted a weird flavor/ scent in my first bowl but I haven't noticed it since. It's definitely a good pipe for your money.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
$35!
http://www.pipeshoppe.com/ps_cw.php
The BC white churchwarden is $74.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/search/sitesearchresults.cfm

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Go for something with two stems if you can, that way you have the best of both worlds. You can smoke the long stem when your setting watching TV or reading and use the shorter stem when your out and about.

Status
Not open for further replies.