PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
Evening gents,

Thought I'd give a quick review of a unique type of match I've managed to get my grubby paws on.
They are called Maya Matches". Made in Mexico, generally sold exclusively south of the border, but sometimes found in stores around the Texas valley. What makes them unique, is that they use cactus quills instead of wood or paper matchsticks. Although a bit smaller than a standard household match, they burn almost as long as their wooden counterparts. They have an edge however, whereas wooden and paper matches break rather easily if you're careless, the cactus quill is very flexible and fibrous, one can bend the match in half, and successfully strike once straightened. The flexibility of the quill however requires you to support the match head like you would paper matches while striking. It's great for lighting your pipe, and has an added advantage of not imparting a burning wood smell to your tobacco.
I have quite a few extra, so anyone is interested in trying a box or two, let me know. Maybe we can work out a trade. :puffy:
59FF23B5-9932-4FF2-83F2-5863CA138304_zpse2mextta.jpg

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
Saw them at HEB today and picked up a bundle for .70 cents! Not bad fire starters.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
What a cool looking and unique, to me anyway, product.

I like the box art too...has a nice "feel" to it. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.