PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
Those of you may recall that I have had a brutal moisture problem while smoking my pipes. I have used everything from expensive pipes (Ser Jacopo) to Missouri meerschaum, I have dried my tobacco several different ways, I have packed it loose and tight. Nothing has ever worked. Running a pipe cleaner down my pipe every 2 draws just was not working for me either. I made it through the first half just fine, however the last half won't stay lit and taste like garbage. But I did not give up and I think I may have fixed the issue.
My last 2 smokes have been fantastic. Each lasting 30 to 45 minutes with maybe 1 or 2 re-lights. What did I do? Plug method for packing my bowl. I scoop up a bunch of tobacco I have let dry and stuff it into the pipe. This allows the tobacco to essentially get stuck in the pipe without touching the bottom of the bowl. Therefore the tobacco does not sit there and soak up the moisture that accumulates. This allows me to run a pipe cleaner ever so often through the shank. This also allows for the perfect amount of resistance.
Now I have not tried this with other pipes at the moment but I am very optimistic. Also if you have problems keeping your pipe lit pay close attention how you draw on the pipe. Make sure it's like utilizing a straw in your glass. Short and sweet draws.
If you have had moisture problems in the past how have you solved them?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
This is what I feared. Some of us just can't resist, can we? I suspect you will just have to live with it easterntraveler. Just go with the flow. At some point a less tightly wrapped member will respond with a cogent answer to your question. Until then, try and find the humor.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Trial and error mate. Much depends on the pipe AND the baccy. There is no 100% answer as each pipe and baccy combo has different qualities. Sooooooooo many variables to take into account... straight vs bent, pot vs billard, aro vs English, one could go on for pages and pages. Eventually you will find your groove.

I can't imagine ever finishing any size bowl in 30-45 minutes, unless I am huffing and puffing on the thing. That just sounds too fast to me. When I get moisture in the stem, I just slow down. There are so many things that can cause moisture, but basically, the tube that the warm smoke goes through can act as a condenser, in the same way your air conditioner or a still works. The slower the smokes goes through, the less moisture that is condensed out of the smoke.
You will never see smoke coming out of my mouth while I smoke my pipe, and growing up, I never ever saw smoke coming from any pipe smoker. If you see smoke, you are going to fast, IMO. The smoke should just be moving at a trickle.
Now, many people will have different ideas on what smoking is. They are right (as I don't think there's a wrong), but I sometimes wonder if these people actually grew up around smokers, or if people just smoke weird in other places. But here, the pipe is always clenched, and you never draw on it. The smoke just "is" as it trickles on its own into your mouth, or some say that as you breath through your nose, your mouth expands to somehow draw in a small amount to match your breath. I believe that it is referred to as "clenching" on here.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I believe cosmic is right: slow and let smoke just be. I have tried many of the packing methods. I now just pack it in and light up and immediately put the pipe in my mouth and forget about it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Setting aside my mischievous twin for the moment, there are several factors that could contribute to a wet smoke. Packing is one of them. If you're happy with the method that you have developed then continue the practice. I would be concerned with uneven cake and possible damage to the pipe over time since all of the business seems to be happening in the middle.
Three other contributors can be the condition of your tobacco, the condition of the airway, and the smoking cadence. Is the tobacco too moist? Do you let it dry out a bit before packing? Is the airway clean and clear through the shank to the bit? If there's sufficient build up in the airway, that can contribute to gurgling. As regards cadence, slow smoking, sipping rather than puffing, can make a big difference as well.
I don't do anything fancy with packing, just shove some tobacco into the bowl and tamp it down lightly, then add a bit more and tamp that down so that the tobacco is firm but with a bit of spring to it. Then I wet the rim before lighting so that I don't singe the rim, and fire it up. I've done this for so many years that it's a fairly automatic operation. No difficulty with smoking the entire load. Stays lit, even when I put the pipe in my pocket for a few minutes while I shop in a store. Smokes to the bottom of the bowl. Pipe gets warm, but not hot. No fancy technique. I just smoke my pipe. I've no doubt that others here could improve upon what I've shared. but I'm happy with how it works for me.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Different tobacco blends and different pipes contribute to the degree of moisture and condensation, as does the ambient temperature and humidity, but I find that the major factor is how agressively I puff. Usually the big cloud after the true light and for a few puffs afterward is enough to satisfy my need to raise a smoke storm. But if during the smoke I decide I want to stoke it up, I know I better have a pipecleaner ready.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
cosmicfolklore....you just opened my eyes to a whole new world of smoking my pipe. Thank you brother.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
This is the same method as advocated by Fred Hanna in his latest book 'The Perfect Smoke'. I have tried loading my pipe with the collection of tobacco off the bottom of the bowl and where I can clearly see the advantages I personally did not care for this tobacco loading technique. I know that eventually the tobacco drops to the bottom of the bowl, however, because of the void at the bottom at first I found myself puffing too hard to get the tobacco's flavor at first.

elmo

Lurker
Jul 20, 2013
As sablebrush says here, also I have had high quality pipes that just want to gurgle and smoke hot, a lot has to do with the pipe the briar used and importantly the cake formation & was the pipe broken in properly, building that lower cake correctly plays a huge part in helping with moisture

But as said it can be 1 or several contributing factors that cause moisture issues but to have it happen over lots of different pipes I would look at the user's smoking method's as a good starting point

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
cosmicfolklore....you just opened my eyes to a whole new world of smoking my pipe. Thank you brother.
+1 +1 +1 .. just tried it. That was COOL.
cosmicfolklore can you start a class.
BUT I gotta admit I still have to mix in some big drags with the technique. Probably the ex cigarette smoker in me.

Status
Not open for further replies.