May 2012 Cartoon Caption Contest Winners are In!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
In case anyone is interested in the process of choosing the winners, it goes like this -
Emails come in all month and get filed into a folder. Sometimes there are duplicates, or near duplicates, which get discarded immediately. First in stays. Some others that are deemed to be lame are also discarded right away.
By month-end, there are 75 - 100 entries left to be reviewed again. I personally narrow them down to about 10 - 12.
Then I make a phone call to Greg Pease, or as he would say; "Give a bell".
With the cartoon in front of us, I do my best job to read in character to the submitted captions.
Some have dead silence coming from the other end of the phone. Others have Mr. Pease bellowing laughter. This further narrows the pool.
If Greg and I can't get them narrowed down to 3, but we have 4, 5 or 6 - then I send the remainder to Jerry King, the cartoonist to decide.
This month, Greg and I chose the final three ourselves.
May 2012 Cartoon Caption Contest Winners

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Very funny captions...congrats to the winners! I drew a total blank on this one...I've participated on the last few, but just had nothing this time.
Kevin, what would you think of posting some "honorable mention" captions as well? Otherwise we never get to see any of those submissions. Just a thought.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@flipflopsandshades: on the left side column under "categories", click on Pipe Cartoons and scroll down a little ways.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Hahaha now that I see those, I know how bad mine really was! :lol:

Love the one about catnip and milkbones! :rofl:

Congratulations winners!

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
I was the 3rd place winner!

Looking forward to that new pipe!

Thanks, Kevin & Greg for your keen appreciation of comedy!

Thanks everyone for the congrats!

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I ove the one that won! I thought mine was pretty good, but these are way better!! Especially that first one, he really deserved it, good job

adam12

May 16, 2011
I like these contests and this month is no exception. Awesome!

stogie37

Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Thanks guys, to commemorate my win, I've prepared a small speech to recognize all the "little people" whose backs I stepped on to achieve this great honor...
It was fun to participate. I run into some pretty hopeless stuff in my calling, and these moments of comic relief are one of the things I appreciate most about this group. I love humor that gets even funnier after you think about it for a second, so, I am really pleased that the judges and the community enjoyed the caption.
I will certainly enjoy the Sebastien Beo pipe, and have already received shipping notification! Now, what to smoke in it first???
Once again, thanks for the opportunity to participate both in the contest and on this forum. Pipesmagazine.com is a class act!
Best regards - J.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.