PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowpuffer

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2012
With current prices, I would say typically $8-$13. Maybe up to 15 for a blend that I consider a favorite. However, because I do not smoke a large volume of tobacco, 50 g tins could get upwards of 20-25 dollars before I would have to consider a less expensive alternative.

clunk

Lurker
Apr 9, 2012
$74 for 250 grams from a bricks and mortar shop. I refuse to buy online at anything remotely close to that because i have no idea of the quality of the tobacco i am buying.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The most I've ever paid online for a 50 gr. tin was $12.50 for Solani 633 -- just to try it; and I discovered what I suspected:

exquisite, but not exquisite enough to justify buying it on a regular basis.
Some day I'll try some of the Sillem's blends at $15.50, and I suspect I'll have the same reaction.
There are just too many enjoyable blends available at more reasonable prices to justify a regular indulgence in the pricey stuff.

The deluxe blends I do buy and sample are usually placed in a Mason jar and saved for special moments.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
My local B&M sells tins of McClelland Arcadia for $14 (including tax), and that's usually the best price once you factor in shipping fees.
But just to be sure, I checked out smokingpipes.com and they can do 5 tins of Arcadia for about $11 each including shipping. So I pulled the trigger and saved $15.
I'm sorry, what was the question?

jvandy77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Personally, no more than $12 or $13. Anything over $20 would be pretty hard to justify.
-Jim

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Even at my overpriced B&M, a 100g tin was $18. Buying online is the way to go, without a doubt, unless you happen to live near a pipe shop with a proper selection of tobacco ... which I do not.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Here in Canada, OTC is $20-30 depending which provincial taxes. So it's quite a joy spending half that and still getting some of the best stuff available. Online is where is at north of the border. If I just want one tin, or online places are out of stock, I'll visit the local b&m and get it there. BTW, they always have Sam Gawith in stock.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
My ceiling for baccy is 20$ per tin, and I will only buy one per month. Actually, I have my own balance for tobacco. I spend 140$ every two months for tobacco, and can't spend more on baccy.

arabpipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2012
As newbie in pipe smoking going over $20 per tin is hard to reach as i have spent around $170 on tobacco in the past two months which is my maximum as i need to save more money for my 2nd briar pipe purchase.

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
If I buy locally I have to pay $50 a tin. I have been ordering online and will continue to do so, if it gets taxed they work out around $35-$40 a tin still but most get through just fine. $8-$12 online is the sweet spot. I couldn't afford this hobby if I had to buy local.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
Well I started smoking cigs a 55 cents a pack and said I would quit at a dollar a pack. Needless to say it was $3.50 a pack that finally got me to quit buying them. So with that in mind I am going to buy blends that I enjoy till they cost more than a carton of cigs. Then I will just smoke from my cellar.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Here in Vegas the average B&M price for a 50g tin is $15. That's why I went to Mac Baren, all their tins are 100g and most B&Ms still charge the same price as other brands 50g tins. Online though I wouldn't pay more than $12 for a current production tin. Some of the site sponsors have really good deals on the 50g tins usually in the $8-$10 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.