PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aimus1

Lurker
Jun 6, 2015
I recently picked up this old briar with what I believe is the original stem. Max Zapf A1

Wondering if anybody out there has anything by this carver. I know xrundog has a meer by him.

lKUa09qh.png
[/url][/img]

M1heMx2h.png
[/url][/img]

czZoNkoh.png
[/url][/img]

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Max Zapf was born in Wurzburg, Bavaria on January 30, 1855. He emigrated to the States in April of 1880, and promptly settled into the pipe trade in NYC. After a few years he relocated to the midwest, staying in Minneapolis from 1885-1896; there he was listed as having a shop that sold pipes, meers, and umbrellas. Sometime between the end of 1896 and the beginning of 1897 Max moved to St Louis where he spent the next twenty years or so in the same line of business. There's an interesting apparent link with Jost, who had come to St Louis about a decade after Zapf. In the 1914 St Louis directory Jost adds a second address (110 N 6th) which just happens to be the same as Zapf's. My inference is that Jost was taking over Zapf's business as an expansion of his own. Certainly by the 1916 directory Zapf is no longer listed as a resident of the city, presumably having either died or moved away.
Is there anything more written anywhere on the case or pipe? Without more info it's tough for me to guess if your pipe dates from the Minneapolis or St Louis years (I suspect more likely the latter). Either way it's a beauty.

aimus1

Lurker
Jun 6, 2015
Way more info than I imagined anyone would have! Genuinely grateful my friend. The case says Max Zapf St Loius MO. The shank is stamped M.Z. and under that is stamped A.1. I couldn't find any history on him at all. Awesome!!

Status
Not open for further replies.