PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
Realities of life ! Learning that you can not pick up a pipe and smoke it.

After 11 months of smoking , I am just beginning to get a feel for this.

Failed 1st grade. It takes more than 2 bowls to get the flavoring of a blend.

You can not switch from one tobacco to the next in on session. The hardest

part is packing the bowl right. Hot then ok and not in sequence. Cleaning

is not a 2 minute job.

So if this was on school year time, I am still in 1st grade. Than i only smoke

from 3.30pm to 4.30-5.00pm.

I have a Greek nose and I can smell a gnats fart in a cross wind. I enjoy the smell

from the smoke instead of the taste. Working on that and it means 1 blend for several days.

Self control is not one of by best characteristics.

So back to learning. Next step is looking through the forums here and practice on packing styles.

Irony of it is that in the end it all goes up in smoke and a piece of furniture your wife refuses

to clean.

Joe2shoes

pipedisciple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 18, 2011
Sounds like your becoming of age in pipe smoking. It what you like and what you want to smoke, IMHO, keep going the joys of pipe smoking will reveal themselves as you go on your journey. Regards, Sam :puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It sounds like you learned your lessons well Joe! Reading up on techniques is most definitely a help and cuts down on the poor experiences. No smoking anywhere near the good furniture for me. But a similar spouse tip is to always clean the kitchen counter top when filling/maintaining tobacco jars - leaving tobacco scraps for Mrs. Jones to find does not endear me to her!

Jul 12, 2011
Like anything, practice-practice-practice...It took me over a year to get to a point where I don't even think about packing bowls, learning what blends smoke/work best & in which pipes...
I agree with others that pipe smoke'in is full of mystery and a journey (big part of the enjoyment) I hope that never ends. I have a bunch of friends that just started getting into pipe smoke'in and I'm glad I can be there for them; sharing all my mistakes :wink: and experiences to make starting their pipe smoke'in journey a good one from day one

Jul 12, 2011
+1 w/Bob, my tastes and blends are all over the place from moment/day-to-day...good thing because not enough time-to-blend smoke'in :puffy:

pjm03fatboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2011
With you on that 35 year thing off & on thru out the years and still learning and enjoying ever min, :puffy:

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010
It is an individual thing, this pipe smoking; hobby or habit. Either a vessel for burning tobacco and source for nicotine or an act of personal enjoyment...it's different for everybody.
Like anything else, it takes time to get it to a level where you are at least comfortable with your interest and you can justify the amount of time dedicated to this interest.
But, when you detect the first nuance, ahhh…sorting the sweet from the savory and quietly mulling over time out of time, or even striking a reminiscent chord with a particular odor or scent; that's when it makes all the difference and moves from effort to pure satisfaction.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Imagine, in the old days there were actual classes in pipe smoking. Young gentlemen would have tutors in the fine art of the pipe.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
@aeeldran, Sleezy way to spam the forums and violate the rules (which you obviously haven't read).

Head shop items belong on some other site. Go there and stay there.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I’ve been married almost 30 years and when it comes to cleaning, packing, and lighting a pipe, my wife complains that I’m more focused and attentive when it comes to what she calls pipe foreplay than I am with her... 8O
Oh well I've been smoking pipes off and on since 1974, so we have a longer history... :rofl:

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Funny, just woke up to realize that my bowl packing has become pretty consistently good. And i don't do anything fancy with it. It has just become easier, especially when dealing with the tobaccos I smoke most often.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Hey JC: You got a complaint....better respond with due diligence....."my wife complains that I’m more focused and attentive when it comes to what she calls pipe foreplay than I am with her..." or your other pipes won't get regular cleaning out attention. Your wife sounds to me like one smokin' hot lady.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Like anything else, it takes time to get it to a level where you are at least comfortable with your interest and you can justify the amount of time dedicated to this interest.
You left out"And Money" 8O

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
One thing that came to me over 17 yrs of smoking a pipe is calmness and learning to slow down and enjoy life a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.