PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I know a lot of people have specific pipes for Latakia blends and certain ones for aros etc.

My question is, how big of a deal would it be to break in a pipe and build a cake using a burley like H&H, SWR, or PA, something that builds a cake fast, and then start using the pipe for Latakia blends. It might be a waste of time, i'm sure i'd get a decent cake fast enough smoking latakia blends right off the hop, but just wondering what kind of ghosting a cake of one type of tobacco would leave. Would it eventually go away? I'm thinking so, seeing as how powerful these English blends are.

Reactions: hyperstar

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
I've never been concerned with building a cake fast. I think it should be allowed to develop slowly over time.
A lot of people use Burley to start a cake, but I prefer using whatever I will smoke in the pipe, whether it's Burley, English blends or Virginias.
I also see no need for initially coating the bowl with honey or anything else.

Honey is mostly sugar and when burned, sugar turns into molecules of carbon and water, so I can understand the rationale for using it, even though I don't.
Some smokers like to use ash to help start a cake. In my opinion, though some may not agree, ash is not carbon, which is what is mostly in the composition of a good cake.
Others may do it differently, but that's my philosophy on building a cake.
I always start the cake in a new pipe by starting with 1/4 bowls of tobacco and gradually working up to a full bowl. That's always worked well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.