PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A back and forth between John (jpmcwjr) and I made me wonder about how you prefer your vulcanite/ebonite/Cumberland stems, matte or shiny. Personally I like to thumb buff them with toothpaste after each smoke to a mirror finish before oiling them and placing them back on the rack.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I guess I'd prefer shiny to matte but the extra work to make them so is what sways me. And it's really "very shiny, mirror like", to just "mildly shiny'.

dare66

Might Stick Around
Dec 24, 2018
I got a pipe off eBay that was oxidized so I soaked it in oxyclean and it is now a black matte. I wasn't sure how to shine it up but I also didn't mind the matte look either.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I’m not happy unless I can see a reflection of my goofy face in my stems. I’ve been refurbishing pipes for five years, so I’m relatively new to it, but my process is to sand, then buff with white compound, then finish with carnauba (a ten dollar buffing kit from Home Depot, attached to my hand drill, unsafely held upright between my knees 8O ). None of my stems over these five years have ever oxidized again, and have required no “touch-ups” or any further attention. I do admit to being a very pipe-friendly smoker, and I don’t even like chatter on my stems, and I’m guessing that also has something to do with my stems holding up so nicely?

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I prefer mine greenish brown and slightly fuzzy. Failing that, matte is where it's at.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This is interesting. Of all the ghosting, reaming, breaking in, lighting, packing, etc. threads, I don't think this has been brought up. Buffing with toothpaste only takes a couple of minutes. Were it a lot of work, I'd likely not do it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.