PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I would like to hear about the best matching pipe material for each different tobacco types.
For tobacco I put down:

-Virginia

-Burley

-Oriental/English
For pipe materials:

-Briar

-Olive wood

-Other woods (lemon, cherrywood...)

-Morta

-Meerschaum

-Gould Calabash
Please note for tobacco I did not included aromatics as I am not interested in them as well as for pipe materials I did not included clay (such as Lepeltier which I own) which are probably one of the best if not the best material as completely neutral, as well as I did not included corn cobs (which I have) which are very good also.
Actually the reason of this is that as I have a clay Lepeltier and corn cob I am thinking to expand to other pipes and do trying to have an idea which one are the best for different tobacco types.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
FWIW: I use only briars and meers. Have a few other woods represented, but I don't smoke them. Briar and meers for all tobaccos. Tend to limit Vapes to a handful of pipes, the rest for English/Balkan.

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
I think touching on bowl size/shape would be helpful. I've seen people look at a pipe and say how great it would be for such and such blend or such and such genre. Flakes, plugs, churchwardens, 320s, Black Frigate, Stonehaven etc. How does a particular pipe compliment a tobacco in this way?
And I don't mean to hijack the OP's topic. I personally only use briars and the occasional cob and clay. I smoke new blends in the latter and have been dedicating my briar pipes to specific blends or genres. I have no rhyme or reason for the ones I have chosen.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[I think touching on bowl size/shape would be helpful. I've seen people look at a pipe and say how great it would be for such and such blend or such and such genre. Flakes, plugs, churchwardens, 320s, Black Frigate, Stonehaven etc. How does a particular pipe compliment a tobacco in this way?]
It is correct also to talk about bowl size/shape and it can be added to the discussion in addition to the general material used for the pipe.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I too use Briar and Cobs for just about all kinds of tobacco. I do think that Burley and a Cobs go together really nicely.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No hard and fast rules. I"ve found burley blends and Va/bur/Cav blends go well in cobs. Semois and some dryer burley and burley blends go in deep bowl pipes including cobs like MM freehands. For flake, I find small/medium bowls do nicely, since flake/coin/plug tends to burn slower, it just needs to be dry enough and well rubbed out (or many prefer fold and stuff). I like a medium bowl for English blends, and the more complex the blend, the more different tobaccos, the better it goes in a wide diameter chamber. Experiment. Some pipes and blends that wouldn't be expected to work together do. Always worth a try. Surprise yourself. I haven't decided on the difference between cylindrical and conical shaped bowls -- I suspect the conical favor flake/coin/plug/rope, but it's just a guess.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
My best virginia smokers are falcons with a dublin bowl.
My best English blend smokers are pots, one in morta and one in briar.
As mso489 said, there are no hard and fast rules, the pipe will tell you what it wants to smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.