PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronbrill

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2012
While browsing around I've noticed some references to certain pipe styles/sizes not being the best suited to different tobacco types. While I'm sure there are no set rules, are there some generally accepted guidelines for getting the most out of a certain tobacco type? How does bowl shape and size factor in? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Smaller bowls for ultra high nicotene baccy for me mate, such as Five Bro's and 1792 Flake. Lot of guys like the smaller bowl for flakes, especially one's who do the fold and stuff method. I find a Pot bosl good for a baccy that is a slow burner, however, sometimes it can be a struggle to make the baccy burn evenly as it does tend to leave some unburned baccy around the edges. I find a tall narrow bowl good for a longer smoke. Chruchwardens for me, when I am smoking a Va or something higher in Virginia as I am sensitive to bite or burn. The longer stem does help to alleviate some of the discomfort.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I quote our established wise one "igloo" "A pipe has two holes a big one and one small one . And sometimes a even bigger one holding it"

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I am sure our more experienced members can give you some pointers but my opinoin is below.
I think this is a matter of trial and error. There are many posts on here as well as to people who are more susceptible to tounge bite on the same baccy someone else smokes all day.
When I say trial and error, I mean I think you need to find what suits your chemistry and smoking style best in regards to type of baccy, pipe and combination of the two. There was a long thread a while back that discussed this topic in detail in regards to bowl shape. Even got down to the sciene of it all but if I remember correctly there was no clear consenus. (Sorry I can't ever seem to find an old thread I am looking for when I am actually looking for it)
As usual no clear answer; jsut a sign with arrows in all directions.
If there is anything I have learned in my time on this forum it is there is never any hard and fast rules to this hobby.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
what eaglerico said...it's all trial and error, and also what suits you. I might enjoy a certain tobacco in a certain pipe but you might think otherwise... it's all relative and completely up to the individuals taste's
it's all about having fun and finding what works for you and what you like.... no go smoke a bowl damnit! :puffy:

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
I've never spent the time to investigate this. However, last night I had a bowlful of Seattle Evening in a Savinelli Bing, and was nearly blown away: it was wonderful! I have had many tobaccos in the Bing, and had several bowls of SE in other pipes, but something about that combination that just worked for me. I've always liked SE, but it never really got past "very good", always burning a bit; in the Bing it just, well, crooned!

aaronbrill

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2012
Geez, I guess I just have to spend some time experimenting and smoking my pipes...pure torture! :wink: I don't have much variety to work with right now but I do have a new pipe and a couple more different types of tobacco on their way this week.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Also worth mentioning is the persnicketiness of Virginias regarding the pipes it is smoked in. Since this tobacco evolved in England in symbiosis with English pipes, it is of great benefit to try it in UK/ Irish pipes. Most long-term virginia smokers will attest to the almost magical synergy of virginia tobaccos to certain brands of pipe.
Paul Szabady, 11-14-1999

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
I actually prefer English blends in my Meerchaum pipes. I have a CAO meer from the early 80's that is a bent lattice shape. I have not seen any of the new Meers shaped like this. It loves Latakia. The flavor of the Latakia and even Periques come out so much better in this pipe. It is the only pipe that I have dedicated to English blends and it will never see an aromatic even though I like aromatic tobacco's.

Status
Not open for further replies.