PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Okay, so I'm new to wines. Never wanted to know too much about them, as it would become an expensive hobby. But... then... I found out what complementing the palate experience was about.
I like Folger's Black Silk coffee with my Prince Albert, for instance. Something "whole" happens in my mouth.
But what wine?
I know reds are generally recommended for robust tobaccos, and that makes sense. You match robust beefy meats to them, for instance.
There are some sweet northern tier white domestics, based on Frontenac Gris and Brianna that are recommended for sweet tastes... even dark chocolates. I would imagine them good for things like Molto Dulce.
Can anyone recommend a wine for Orlik Golden Sliced, as well as for Newminister 403 Superior Round Slices?

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I smoke mainly Virginias and I find a glass of Merlot ( even the cheap stuff, such as the $7 Rex Goliath 47 pound Rooster ) to be a suitable companion to just about everything.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
BV and Coke, btw, is going nicely with my Rushmore blend, I'm finding. Wonder what wine would go with this sweet blend.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Don't think Ive ever had wine while smoking... I enjoy a nice wine sometimes with supper, but usually its Sweet Tea, Whiskey or a nice Stout when smoking.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm a bit afraid if using the P word, but that P tobacco, aged a decade, always made me crave a great Bordeaux like Chateaux Margaux.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Captainprophesy, +1 on your signature. S&W 40c on my kidney right now. When cops stop carrying guns, I *might* -- cuz bad guys don't just shoot at cops. They feel they need to carry, I take it as a strong hint I should.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
When cops stop carrying guns, I *might*
Well if cops stop carrying guns... I won't be relinquishing mine, thats for sure. I don't carry because a leo does or doesn't carry... I carry because its the very utmost last line of defense for myself and my family. I don't rely on anyone but me, period! :)
and thats a nice piece... I'm a colt 1911 fan myself, to be more precise a 70 or 80 series... especially my 70's series.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I don't drink alcohol while smoking. Greatly increases your chances of ill oral health.
Ditto
Read the percentages on that recently and decided one could wait on the other. Percentages soared when done in tandem. Bad part of the leaf was far more soluble to oral cells with alcohol. Could do both, numbers just blew up when done at the same time. Still and all it is a personal decision :)

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
@Warren
At my age, great dentist, oral health currently good so I really do not care. Worth the risk. Hard to beat a port with an evening pipe. I smoke, so my risk for just about everything bad is increased.
Well I believe your older than I am, not sure by how much... maybe a century or two :P... But I'm 46 and in all honesty I feel the same way. I'll take the risk.. at the end of the day, even if you make it to 100 years old. life is still short... enjoy it, enjoy it enjoy it. when your dead your dead.

joshuaburgess

Lurker
Jun 30, 2014
I drink a lot of wine while smoking a pipe, but I've had very few experiences when one complemented rather than clouded the other. A notable exception is a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc with G.L. Pease's Laurel Heights. The citrus notes in the wine definitely brought out the same notes in the Virginias. But I consider that sort of nice pairing between tobacco and wine to be pretty exceptional.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
My current favourite wine is a California Cabernet Sauvignon called Carnivore. It is bold and deep with rich fuity tones. This is not a sweet wine but a nice full bodied wine that is a dark purple colour when poured. Outstanding with good beef or lamb and compliments a mild English blend quite nicely, Mmmmmm!! :puffy:
As a Canadian gun owner I envy your right to carry. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.