Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Matches.! The good, the bad and the ugly.

(29 posts)
  1. samon

samon

Login to Send PM

Morning gents', let's talk matches!

Alof of us use them when the weather is right, but which ones are 'best', favoured, most used etc?

I've tried a bunch over the years, some of which taste vile, sour, phosferousy and/or are too bloody short and wet! It must be due to the pine sticks they are all made of, they are so full of resin/moisture.

There are an abundance of brands in the shops, mostly safety matches, but the strike anywhere ones I can only seem to find are 'Swan' branded, they are far too short, the sticks full of moisture which pools and they taste kind of chemically even after the head has fully burnt off. Theya ren't terrible though, better than most, but big multi boxes of 'Clipper' branded safety ones are not only cheap as chips, they are longer and burn dryer.

SO what are you using??

Never tried a paper match btw, but the smell of burning paper is rank lol.

thanks is advance!

Samon

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. brudnod

Spencer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use whatever the grocery store has, usually 10 small boxes in a package for a couple of bucks. I tend to stay away from safety matches as there is more chemical smell and it burns much hotter. Less likely to burn the rim either way.

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

A 3-pack of these are around $5 at my Food Lion (I must show ID to buy matches in MD...).
    They work great. The secret to the box making it thru the supply of matches is that I keep it in a small, tupperware container so it doesn't soak up any moisture (mine live out on the patio in the summer, workshop in the winter).

I'm a match guy all the way.

Al

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

damianmonk

Login to Send PM

I'm in Amsterdam and quite a lot of my matches don't light even when indoors. Constant 80+ percent humidity, yay!

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

At one time I was feverishly searching out some strike anywhere matches,
    it's just such a hassle to get them.

I contemplated buying vintage boxes of them,
    but those are usually too pricey and the heads are often soft and rotted.

While researching the SA's I came across many lamentations of their passing,
    especially on survivalist boards.

Red Bird matches got good reviews.

I just went the easy route and use the Diamonds.

And,
    an odd alternative is this thing:
    http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/anybody-here-ever-use-an-electromatch-to-light-their-pipe
    which is really great for bottom of bowl relights,
    and it's just fun to use!

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a large box of Redbird strike-anywhere matches (made by the Eddy match co. of Pembroke, Ont.) that sit by the patio door and a small tin full in my pocket at all times but I always have a few boxes of Sea-Dog wooden matches made in Sweden and stocked by my local B+M.

"Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong." - Corinthians 16:13
    "Let us be English or let us be French . . . and above all let us be Canadians." – Sir John A MacDonald
    "The world was to me a secret which I desired to divine." - Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Those Diamond Greenlights Al uses work just fine for me, too. As long as you give it a second for the sulphur to burn off, they leave no taste that I can detect.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  8. stickframer

stickframer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I always used Red Bird or Seafarer matches. Pretty much strictly a zippo guy now.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can't find anything other than the Diamond matches at MalWart, but I buy the standard. I had a box of the Greenlights and even when I let the head burn off, they still imparted a funky taste, so they were relegated to fireplace duty.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The dollar store has the diamond greens in kitchen size for $1.00 a box. I used to use them all the time after switching from the smaller size.
    What I use now is hemp wick and a butane lighter. I light the hemp wick with the butane and I'm off!
    Saves on butane and provides the best light I've ever found.
    I bought about a 400' roll of hemp wick for cheap and I just pull it off the roll and put it inside a small 'pill' jar with a hole in its lid to allow me to pull it out as I need it.
    Hands down, the best light there is.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. settersbrace

settersbrace

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Swan Vesta matches were at one time the go-to pipe lighting match but they dried up not long after I came into the hobby. We have a full box in the smoke shop junk drawer that I've lit my pipe with a few times. Very long and clean burning, the perfect indoor, sitting in an overstuffed leather chair type luxury.

De gustibus et cloribus non disputandum.
    'There is no arguing about tastes and colours.'
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I miss Swan Vestas so much. Nothing...Nothing burns as well. But I fear with our societies' nanny state mentality they shall not return.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never tried a paper match btw, but the smell of burning paper is rank lol.
    Paper match for me! diamond greenlight book paper matches. Let them burn off, and off I go...

"the weez"...
    Posted 3 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In the summer matches are great, the smell kind of goes well with Latakia.

But, come winter I find it extremely difficult to get them to light correctly (sure the chemical striker works, but the wood goes out almost immediately if I don't do things right). At 20-30 degrees below freezing it's actually very hard to find reliable sources of fire, and a bic next to your body is just about the only way to go.
    I suppose I've never actually tried warming the matches... Plenty of time for experiments in a few months.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. captpat

captpat

Login to Send PM

I use Red Birds, long ones for sitting around at home, shorter ones (30 per pack) when on the road. Zippo if its too windy.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. danindayton

danindayton

Login to Send PM

I've just recently tried stick matches when I found Arango Statesman cigar matches at my b&m. They are sulphur free and 4 inches long. I like them a lot but, I still use a lighter when I'm out and about.

danindayton
    ilurkalot

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use the little cardboard or wood ones they sell at Wal-mart and grocery stores. Efficiency trumps proficiency in this case.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  18. shikano53

shikano53

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a large box of Redbird strike-anywhere matches (made by the Eddy match co. of Pembroke, Ont.)

I toured the Eddy match factory in Pembroke, Ontario in July 1970.

I didn't realize it was even still operating.

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. jkrug

jkrug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't use matches often but when I do it's Red Bird in the small boxes. I like using matches but they don't seem convenient to me when I'm on the go.

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Diamond. Swan Vestas were great but can't find 'em.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 3 years ago #
  21. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Restaurant woodens for now. But use quick butane on low for delights.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  22. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Use mostly Diamond Greenlight, but have found strike anywhere at Ace Hardware.

I never use lighters, since I fear scorching top of my pipes, which I have done in the past.

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 3 years ago #
  23. samon

samon

Login to Send PM

I was in the shop earlier getting some bits for the fridge and figured I'd get a lotto ticket and some swan matches, incase I dry them and make them taste better. To my suprise, a box only costs £0.24! Thats less than I thought so I bought ten boxes to experiment with.

Shame they are so damn short..

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. aggravatedfarmer

aggravatedfarmer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just got four boxes of swan vestas. They are available through a non sponsored online pipe dealer.

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. samon

samon

Login to Send PM

I have now got 42 meters/yards of hemp wick! it's geat stuff, beeswax coated to keep it stiff and completely falvourless. I will do a write up at a later date on it but so far, geat! One light with a lighter and you're good to really light even the moisture loads fully!

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. samon

samon

Login to Send PM

This is 3 rolls of 12 meter hemp wicks.

In use, still impressed with lack of taste and effeciency even at the bottom of the bowl to get that dottle going!

The three rolls cost £5 on ebay! Bargain imo.

Posted 3 years ago #
  27. jkrug

jkrug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A couple members have given the hemp wick a try. I'd like to give it a go myself but haven't taken the time to track some down yet. I've found it online but the price seemed high to me, I need to see if I can source it locally. I can see it being fun to use while sitting in my smoking chair relaxing.

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

michiganlover

Login to Send PM

http:www.beewickhemp.com seems to be the cheapest place to get it. $15 for 420 ft. Considering 5 feet should last at least a week, this is a huge supply. Seems to me to be a very good price. Other brands cost more because they use organic hemp, a factor that doesn't matter in the slightest because I'm just setting it on fire.

Posted 3 years ago #
  29. echie

echie

Login to Send PM

damianmonk: really? I'm in Amsterdam as well, but I mostly have problems because of the wind (I tend to use a Zippo, then).

Do you live in a woonboot?

Get Pipe Notebook for Android on the Play Store!
    http://pipenotebook.com
    Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   paulfg, buzkirk, tufftony