PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
i have been using wooden matches but they have a lot of sulfur as they are for camping -

havent found any others here in toronto-
so ,,, i wish to try lighters -

which are you using that do not impart taste into the tobacco upon lighting up - is there one where the fuel is tasteless ??
thanks

Jan 8, 2013
I use my Zippo pipe lighter. Some will say you get a taste and smell of the fuel. But I never get that. If you let it burn a few seconds before lighting the pipe, you're fine.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
Shouldn't matter how much sulphur is on the match, when you light it just let the sulphur burn until its just the wood or paper burning . . . also I use a zippo sometimes, and I do get a bit of the fuel taste sometimes but it doesn't bother me and it goes away pretty quick.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I normally use matches, and only get a sulfur taste when I don't let the match burn long enough before lighting the tobacco. I also use a Zippo with no issues, as well as a Bic lighter.

lqjones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 8, 2013
I love my IM. Huge tank and rarely need refilling. A little pricey.

masterpython

Might Stick Around
Sep 18, 2013
You could get one of these and go old school.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=64338&cat=1,230,41182

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
If I use kitchen matches or the cardboard ones, I can taste them; I rarely use matches, usually only when the lighter is out of butane. If I plan to smoke by the shore, or in a high wind area, then the Zippo is a must, however I DO get a taste of fuel on the first light, even from the low odor stuff in the black can.

The Xikar uber-refined butane seems fairly odorless, and the Dunhill lighter does its' job just fine, except in the aforementioned situations.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I know some people are picky when it comes to this stuff.. Some people only use matches, some people only fancy lighters... I personally use whatever I have. I have never noticed a difference when I use either. To each their own I suppose but I just use anything that will get my pipe lit haha!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
All my lighters use highly refined butane and I never get a taste from it. Matches are too much work and my Zippo I only use in windy conditions.

lqjones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 8, 2013
Should have specified the IM Corona Old Boy. I used to have a Colibri lighter shaped/sized like a pen. Awesome for pipe smoking, but I could never get them to last very long.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've always used matches for pipes and don't taste the sulfur. While with pipes matches do just fine, with cigars I prefer a torch for the extra amount of tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.