PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

music4cash

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2016
I've started using matches to light my pipe, I have found that I get better flavor, right from the start of the smoke. My question is for those of you who use matches have you found any that are better than others...Of course I wouldn't try to light my pipe with paper matches, but other than that are there any particular brands, or types of matches that work better than others? I guess in the end I'm looking for the coolest possible flame.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Of course I wouldn't try to light my pipe with paper matches
I must be a heathen. Paper matches are all I use to light my pipes when I'm at home and have for years 8O ...

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I rarely light my pipe with matches, and when I do I haven't noticed any thing different about the taste. I just use my Bic lighter mostly. I've never had any issues with it, as long as I got one with fuel in it I'm good to go.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I've not really found any preference with matches. I do like to use the little longer kitchen matches while at home and will carry a small box if regular one with me if I'm out and about.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I like wooden matches of the size and kind you get from fancy restaurants and bars, ca. 2" long and of pine or fir. I also use paper matches, butane soft and hard flames, never had a taste problem with any. Heat differential is handled by keeping the right distance between flame tip and tobacco.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
Heat differential is handled by keeping the right distance between flame tip and tobacco.
This is excellent advice.
My only knock against matches is I keep running out. I never noticed a difference between types of matches or different lighting methods.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
I believe matches generate less heat than even soft flame butane lighters, and I agree they make an excellent choice for lighting pipes and cigars, if a bit inconvenient. I usually buy boxes of the diamond matches, but my favorites are the long cedar matches from tobacconists. The problem is that there is rarely more than a few included in a box. Maybe there are some online sources for quantity.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I'll use matches on rare occasions (wooden), but I've never noticed any difference in taste whatsoever.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I prefer using matches because I can better control lighting the tobacco. But I'm also lazy, so I use a BIC. And when I'm feeling rather posh, I use my S. T. Dupont pipe lighter. A pipe lighter gives me the same level of control as a match.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I use a lighter and Diamond wooden matches. I prefer the matches, but the lighter is occasionally more convenient. Neither affects the flavors of the tobaccos.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I haven't used a match in months. I don't use a lighter either. OK, I use a lighter, but only to light my bees wax coated hemp wick.

A 'jet' lighter will ignite my hemp wick in under 2 seconds. and then the hemp wick will burn lazily as long as I want it to.

It's a simple procedure to master and to make part of your lighting routine, and one I've found to be cleaner and enjoyable.

matches

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2015
Dunedin, NZ
Can you guess from my screen name what I prefer? I'm probably just a klutz or something but i definitely feel i get a better light and better flavour with matches. I think with a flame lighter I end up overheating the tobacco. Only issue is lighting outside which is only place I smoke.

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
If I used matches I would recommend people buy stock in a match company.
Just too many relights for me.
Plus you gotta find a place to dispose of the spent stick. What do you guys do there?

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
I use the green-tipped Diamond wooden matches exclusively. I'm not a brand loyalist or anything, these are just the only ones my grocery store stocks. I've encountered the occasional problem pointed out by smoothsailing where the match goes out before I can make it to my pipe, but this occurs very seldom.
I do the majority of my pipe smoking at home, so disposing of the wooden matches afterwards poses no issue; however, on occasion I venture out and about and getting rid of my dirty pipe cleaners and matches can be a little problematic. Usually in that case I just end up eating them.

Reactions: umbrella001

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
If I'm sitting at home at my desk, matches will work. 98% of the time, just a Bic. I like the old school charm of matches, but most of the time they are just not practical.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I like matches for the extra bit of ceremony, I get the longer matches, beehive is the brand in New Zealand. Any cheaper matches seem to be a waste of time. Most of the time I have got a bic lighter handy, especially if I am out in the wind. On the worksite last week I had no matches left and no lighter handy, so I was lighting slivers of pine off the propane heater, that worked just fine and very satisfying pushing the sliver into the snow to put it out.
Isaac

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I've used wood matches, paper matches, gas lighters, fluid lighters, even the electric lighter from the car. They all get the job done the same. I smoke only outdoors so matches are frustrating and time-consuming. The idea of smoking a pipe is to calm down, so I see no point in ramping up my stress level getting it lit.

Status
Not open for further replies.