PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2017
I live in Oregon, home to master blender Steven Books who has amazing reviews for his blends up on Tobacco Reviews.com. I frequent Richs cigar store in Portland and have been trying out some of Steven's blends that Bill has been making since Steve left years ago.I can't seem to get a hold of Steve himself since he went out of business but I heard that he has trained his daughter to blend as well.
Is anybody familiar with any of Steven's blends or know of how they compare to Bill making the blends since he left?

bosmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2017
ha ha good looking out warren. i went to ohio public school....

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Not sure what your schooling has to do with an unwillingness to follow the site owner's rules. What you did or did not learn in school is no excuse to disrespect the owner. You are here only at his and the mods' sufferance.

bosmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2017
i too am confused, the rule i read which you had suggested,number 9 were speaking about grammar. if you could provide a link i would appreciate it, I'm very new to this forum and do not mean any disrespect.

if my post implied something negative negative about Richs, or Bill their tobacconist, that was not my intension.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I'll play along a bit longer. Reread the rule, parse it, cogitate on it and soon comprehension... well, possibly not, will come to you. A reread of the rule reveal the words, punctuation and spelling. Also, look up "grammae" so you can have a working definition of it. This will help you in our continuing battle of wits. I think you are sadly unarmed for this style of combat though. I look forward to your next lunge or parry. In the morning though sadly.
Not sure how "Richs, or Bill their tobacconist" enters into this discussion. So, I have no comment.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
If I were to point out any faults of your post, it would be capitalizing the heading to your post. The next would address capitalizing sentences in your post. Your grammar and spelling do not have to be perfect, rule 9 just wants you to try. I hope you decide to continue to post and share your thoughts on piping.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
I know it's a different case here, but while it's here, I do my best at punctuation, but sometimes when I am on a small tablet, my stubby fingers have issues with the keys in general. Several times I quit when I kept making mistakes. Other times I posted in lower case, usually a short one, as being physically limited with a tablet sort of sucks. I read the rules before, but guess No. ( didn't sink in.

Funny, when I was on what there was of the Internet before Al Gore invented it (he actually did play a part) it was all lowercase. The pinheads of the day were offended if they saw a cap.

Well, that said, I wish the rule had sunk in, as I feel like I just got lucky no one said anything to me. Sometimes trying to be part of something and some people took precedence over decorum.

bosmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2017
Considering that I have been smoking my pipe the whole time, this has been a pleasurable experience.

My questions though, remain to be unanswered...

ron123

Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
I can't vouch for this site, but it is still up: https://squareup.com/store/house-of-calabash-3/
I also found this post on another forum. It was not posted by Eva Books, but was a quote that had been taken from the House of Calabash facebook page: I am sad to report that due to Steve's declining health we will closing the House of Calabash sooner then we anticipated. The shop will be transferred to online ordering only on November 1st. We will sell tobacco and pipes until we close.
The closing of the shop will be in the middle of September. The shop hours will be a few days a week, if your wish to buy tobacco on an off day then Steve is more then happy to make an appointment. I am starting to take emails for anyone who wishes to be on the mall order list.
Steve is retiring as the Master Tobacconist and passing the reigns onto me officially in October.

I am excited to take on the title and be your next Master Tobacconist.
If you have any questions feel free to call Steve 503- 688-0679 or Eva 503- 496- 6817 between the hours of noon and 5pm. We ask kindly to not call on Sundays as that is out family time.
Thank you everyone for supporting Steve and shop through the years and I look forward to everyone joining me on the new chapter for the House of Calabash.
~ Eva Books

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Bosmer, welcome to the forums! :clap:
I think you just caught Warren in an uncharacteristically bilious mood. A friendlier reproval would have been more representative of the atmosphere here, especially in recognition of the proliferation of phones and tablets, which make using caps a PITA.
In any event, I think most of us warmly welcome anyone with an interest in gourmet tobacco; and I, for one, am glad you decided to begin posting.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Jay: 'Tis what happens late in the evening, for me anyway. I can't blame the port as tonight I treated myself to a "brown cow", ice cream and root beer. Carelessness and a need for sleep are all I can offer. My excuse for any error(s) in this post will be, up too early and/or a lack of coffee.
For the others: A mistake or two in a post is to be expected and accepted I think. Phones, pads, worn out keyboards, time of day and any other number of excuses/distractions. The posts which get my panties in a bunch are the ones where absolutely no effort was made to comply with the rules, any of the rules.
The welcome post was another thread I saw regarding a blender question.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Bosmer, Welcome to the Forum!
...and thanks for opening an interesting subject...
You never did get an answer on the dreaded Rule 9- I've included it below. I'll also edit the title and copy for you on this one, although it does leave me feeling a bit like eecumming's editor... :roll:
Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar
9. In order to maintain the quality of our forum and facilitate communication, it is the policy of PipesMagazine to encourage the use of standard spelling, punctuation and grammar.
Members are requested to proof read their posts before submitting them. Please capitalize words in the thread titles.
You may be contacted by moderators and asked to reword posts that we deem too difficult for many to read. If there are repeated violations that appear to be due only to laziness, you run the risk of having posts deleted or being submitted for moderation before appearing on the forum.
A list of common abbreviations and acronyms may be found at http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/terminology. We can add to this list, but if you use new or obscure acronyms, please GUAH (Give Us A Hint).
British-English spelling standards are acceptable as well as American standards.
Perfect grammar is not required. We encourage everyone to do his or her best. Allowances will be made for those for whom English is difficult.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I will say I know being a bit of a pedant I set myself up when I make a mistake. I admit to gleefully proofing jay's posts for mistakes. If he makes any, they are beyond my level of education, good on jay! Still I look as he obviously rebels in finding my many mistakes. :worship:
I do proof my posts, closely in the mornings and obviously, not so well as the day goes on. I appreciate jay and others pulling me up short. It's been many years since the classroom, I've become lazy also. It's good to be corrected, keeps me on my toes, pokes wee holes in my ego, keeps me grounded.
Jay: There may be mistakes here. Rest assured they are intentional and for your enjoyment, to keep you from being bored. From here on out that's my story. I'm going to stick to it. :worship: Well, unless a mod pulls me up short for violating "Rule 9" intentionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.