PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
could anybody say here how good were these Masta pipes back in the days ,were those comparable to Parker/Hardcastle pipes?

My understanding is that they were satisfactory middle of the road pipes at affordable price back in the 70ies

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Do you also have a Masta my uncle Carlo asked.At the age of 16 I had 16 good quality pipes.what is Masta I asked my father when the uncle had gone- Its a pipe he said,I think he had one as a boy ( in the 30ties)-

Masta arrived again in Danmark in the mid sixties in the Super and the Standard quality.Super were 49,50 (a Parker root

were 69,-) and the standard around 10,- cheaper.

I bought a Super shape 135,large billiard st.grain bowl with an unfilled flaw- fine pipe,I still smoke it.
The standard arrived again in the late 70ties at a cost around 50,- as far as I remenber,but only for a while.
I have some in my unsmoked stock and some I have smoked. Also have a cut away pipe showing the system and

an unsmoked pre war which I think could be made by the old Masta Patent Pipe Co,not by Parker Hardcastle as the others.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Going back earlier to the period Jensen is describing, your question is a tough one to answer without being more specific. All three companies made a variety of pipes in a wide range of quality and price points. In the mid 1930s, for example, Masta offered at least 8 pipes ranging in price from 2/6 to 10/6. Lewis & Hardcastle offered at least 19 again ranging from 2/6 to 10/6. Parker offered over 12 ranging from 1/- to 7/6. In any given year these ranges might vary as pipes were added to or dropped from the line.
So the quick answer is all three manufacturers were comparable in that each sold cheap, mid-range, and at least one or more high-end pipes. Generally speaking, specific pipe models are easier to compare than companies.
The Patent Standard, by the way, was at the lower end of the Masta line.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Very fine jguss.

I have a catalog from The Masta Patent Pipe Co Ltd,year unkown.

Prices of Masta Pipes Extra, B and Popular 10/6, 5/6, 2/6 each
Also Milner Briars Extra,A , B, C 8/6,6/6,4/6,2/6 each
Prices to the trade - Masta per dozen

84/-, 39/- & 20,-

Milner per dozen

63/-, 45,-, 30,- & 19,-
Factory at Milner Works.Barnsbury St.London N 1

Reactions: BalkanCanuck

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Hi Jensen,
I would guess your catalog dates from the late twenties or early thirties; certainly by 1933 Masta was no longer at the Milner Works address.
Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.