PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The article speaks for itself.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/massachusetts-town-weighs-nations-1st-tobacco-ban/ar-AA7iFI6
Sorry I didn't see the earlier post.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Towns in Massachusetts tried the same thing with alcohol many years ago, and had some minor success.
In 2002, 18 "dry" towns.
Currently, there are 8 "dry" towns.
So hopefully the economics of the situation will allow saner heads to prevail, as it seems to be doing with alcohol sales.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Here's a question for any attorneys amongst the Forum membership: How can a municipality unilaterally (and legally) outlaw a product whose sale is legal on a national basis, and from which the federal, state, and local governments derive tax revenue?

bloodwood

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2014
Puyallup, WA
State legislatures should pass pre-emption laws to keep the Small town politicians from seeking their 15 minutes.

If that law stands, I hope some enterprising merchant opens a store two feet outside the city limits.
Hear, hear!
Beat them politically at the slightest hint of absurdity.

or

Thumb your nose and capitalize on the "nanny" situation.
I hail from the state of bass-ackward laws.

longbowman

Might Stick Around
Oct 11, 2014
People will buy more than usual elsewhere since they can't run down to the store if they run out. It'll actually boost tobacco sales, but somewhere else.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Isn't this the same town in which they based the movie Footloose? What's next, bacon, soda, cheeseburgers?

I love the nanny state. I could never make my own decisions. I need big brother to micro manage every facet of my life.

America is only one more regulation away from bliss.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I saw this article earlier today. It just amazes me the time that's wasted by our politicians on the stupidest things. Instead of worrying about education, the economy and anything else that's actually important in today's society; our politicians are spending time on banning tobacco, 32oz soda's and anything else we wish to enjoy.
If I choose to eat McDonalds everyday then that's my choice. If I choose to smoke a pipe or a cigar then that's my choice; not some dumb politicians. This is just absurd, but what else is new.

Status
Not open for further replies.