PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
I have seen a lot about storing tobacco in a mason canning jar. Do you do anything to seal the lid other than just tighten it down snug?

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Personally I just make sure there are no tobacco bits on the rim or lid and screw them on. The majority of mine have also formed their own vacuum. I also periodically check them and snug up any that have come loose and no problems to date.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Heat the jars in hot water first, then fill and seal. As the jar cools, it will create a vacuum. The lid will "pop", ensuring a good, airtight seal.

Also, if you don't heat them, as the magical tobacco aging bugs use up the oxygen and turn it into aged magical goodness, it will form a seal on its own. No real need to heat them, unless you are just a worrier.
Making sure the seal doesn't have any tobacco in between the rim and jar lid is about the only thing you have to do.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I never heat them and after about 6 months they pop if you open them. Also, I use small jars 4 Fl oz. they hold about an ounce of loosely packed tobacco.
This lets me smoke a variety of open blends while still letting some of it continue to age.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
After filling the mason jar and wiping the rim of tobacco dust, I will often run a damp rag over the lid seal before placing on the jar in hopes that the wet rim gives a better seal. But this may not be necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.