PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowler1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2013
Williamsburg, VA
Hi,

This is a follow up to my last post about tobacco freshness. The overwhelming answer I got was that I need to store my tobacco in mason jars. Gret advice.
My questions though are as follows...do you empty your tin and store it in the jar that way, or do you leave it in the tin and place the tin / tins into a mason jar? I assume you can get a mason jar big enough to fit actual tins in...maybe not. I have not looked into this.
If the answer is the latter, then do you place tins of different varieties all together or would you only store English blends with other English blends, Virginias with Virginias, etc.
thanks

Matt

pseudonym

Lurker
May 10, 2012
Wayyyy too much effort and a waste of space...if they could even fit. I just cram it all into a 250-mL jar.
As for storing tobaccos together, I would think that eventually they would all smell(/taste?) the same after a certain amount of time. The only tobaccos that I would consider storing together in the same jar (like, say, bulk tobacco in bags, stuffed into a jar) are codger burleys. If you don't have enough to fill a jar just get some smaller jars.

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
One suggestion, don't open a tin just to put it in a mason jar. For example, if you have 3 tins of a particular tobacco but only one is currently open for the smoking...put the remaining tobacco in the jar and leave the other two tins unopened. The tobacco in the unopened tins will stay fresher longer if unopened.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
As noted here and in the thread you started on freshness, it very much depends on the tin in question. The round metal tins with the screw-off lids are perfectly fine for storage and aging - just check them periodically for rust or bulging.
Other tins (the cardboard ones especially) are okay for mid-term storage, but it sounds like most folks jar those tins pretty close to right away (I've got a tin of Black House that I need to jar that falls in this category). I got my hands on a tub of Sugar Barrel just after the discontinuation announcement, and I've jarred up the whole thing (took 6 half-pint jars, which should give me several aging options...).
Sounds like you've been set straight on the one blend per jar - straight out of the tin/tub/polybag/whatever and into the jar, single blend per jar unless you're experimenting with flavor blending. Some folks actually do have a specific "odds and ends" jar that they put any leftovers in, for a sort of flavor pot luck - I just buy larger jars, myself. :D

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
If I have unopened tins I keep them stacked in a tupperware container or ziplock. Once I open them I usually keep the tobacco in the tin since I don't take too long to finish it.
Most of the tobacco I smoke is bulk, and I store it in 8oz mason jars from ikea. I have 4oz jars for my "current" circulation to minimize air exposure.

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I wouldn't advise using a used jam jar. You can get the jar clean enough but the lid will hold some residue in it. Could lead to molding on you baccy or jam flavored baccy.

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
I have found that the flip top latch style jars with the rubber seal work great too, and are relatively inexpensive. More expensive than mason jars but worth it IMO. i have had some flake in one for over a year as I tried other things and went back to it the other day and it was not dried out one bit. I have several mason jars as well however and they work great as well... just offering options

Jan 8, 2013
I had one of those flip tops for a while, they work pretty good, but the seal kept falling off mine and they are kinda pricey. I spent 9 bucks at Walmart and got 12 pint sized mason jars. They seem to work fine to me.

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I have been getting 1oz samples from a local B&M. I find they fit perfect into a 1/2 pint canning jar.
The jars I have are intended for fancy jam or jelly. You get a box of four at Wally World for under $5.
Till I find something I really like 1oz is just enough for me.
(I empty the contents of the zip lock bag the store gives me into the jar)

Status
Not open for further replies.