PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
How do you place/store your mason jar tobacco stash? Has anyone had this problem and have found a solution? I'm speaking of my 1/4quart masons that store my current smoke rotation, not the aged cellared jars. I have over 20 of them I open and use frequently. They don't interlock with one another, and it's a miniature avalanche every time I grab one to use. Any suggestions would be helpful.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
When I buy the mason jars, they come in a cardboard box with cardboard separators. I just fill the jars, label them, and put them back in the box that they came in. The cardboard separators keep the jars from tipping or moving around. These larger boxes can then be stacked if necessary.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I have all of mine stacked on top of each other in a large cooler (I don't believe in storing tobacco exposed to light) in my basement with printed labels on the lids. It's a bit of sorting and moving them about to find what blend I wish to smoke, but I've honestly never found it to be that much of an issue. More often than not, the one I'm looking for is the one on top and staring me in the face. :wink:

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Keeping them in the original box, good idea. But it looks so pretty piled up in my pipe cabinet. I have a pic on my profile page. I'd post, but I'm on my iphone at "work". :)

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
I've never had this problem, but it's nothing a garage sale couldn't solve. Just pick up a shallow but tall cabinet. Keep your regular rotations in there, and when it's empty you just replace it with a fresh one.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I don't have much of a cellar at all, but my current rotation sits in my closet in a fabric drawer type tote you see in a cubby like dresser. Did that make any sense? Basically it is about 8"X9" fabric box with the jars stacked in it. I know exactly where everything is since it's such a small amount though so I can go right to it without any troubles.

jfox520

May 24, 2013
The only thing that I came up with was to buy a package of bar coasters. The ones that are made of pressed cardboard. They will make the column steady and still allow you to see the tobacco in the jars and the labels.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
This is where and how I store my current tobacco rotation. I picked it up from Meijer here in Michigan for $12. Holds 12 larger jars and some smaller 'sample' jelly jars (on the left). Looks good and works great as a 'drawer' on an open bookshelf.
RD
mason-jar-storage-for-rotation-600x379.jpg

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Five pounds would have to be divided up amongst jars as the largest Mason jar that I'm aware of is 32 oz.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I put 2 oz of loose cut tobacco in 4 oz jars, 4 oz in 8 oz in jars.

I bet that ratio scales up to a gallon jar.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
But I would never use such a big jar, because the aging process stops once you open it.

I use 4 and 8 oz jars; you can open one of them but the rest of the jars keep on aging.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I don't know much.

I'm just following this guy's recommendations....
http://www.pipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Tobaccos#Aging
Q: So, I've opened an aged tin. Now what?

A: This is a little tricky. Once the seal of the tin is broken, the delicate balance present in that little ecosystem is permanently altered. You can't go back! So, once that tin is open, either smoke its contents fairly quickly, or transfer it to air-tight containers, like bail-top canning jars. The aging process from this point on will be different, but the tobacco will remain in fine condition for your enjoyment as long as it's kept in good condition. (The plastic lids on my tins will keep the tobacco in find shape for anywhere from a couple weeks to a few months, depending on the ambient temperature and humidity. Just keep an eye on it!) This is the reason, by the way, that I cellar 2-oz tins, rather than the 8-oz ones. Once I open that tin, I want to smoke its contents as quickly as possible to get the maximum enjoyment from my years of patience. It's like a fine wine - cellar it for a long time, but drink it fairly quickly.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
The other draw back of using a large jar is putting your eggs in one basket, should something go wrong and say you get mould growth you basically just lost 5 pounds. I see very little up side to a large jar and lots of downside.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I drafted the bottom drawer on on of my dressers. The rest I leave in the original case, as was mentioned earlier.

I started out with quarts, but quickly changed to pints and then small jelly jars, based on what made sense to me on these blogs. Your only going to smoke so much at one time. I know this was not originally about cellaring but it gets into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.