PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
All the literature on Ball jars suggest that the lids are one time use only.

Now, I realise that this is prudent advice when used in a food preserving application, and specifically when sealed with the heated jar method.... But what are your thoughts when used for tobacco storage that's in your slow rotation. Opened and closed regularly over many many months.
I have many tobaccos stored in mason jars, and some of those jars may take a year (and perhaps longer) to go through.... what sort of serviceable life have you guys experienced with these lids when used this way - opened and closed many many times?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Several years. When I finally empty a jar, I use it for a similar blend with a new lid.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
Thanks guys.

Cosmic, it's not price that's the problem.... It's avaialbailty. In Australia, I haven't been able to source the lids readily.

And, I was also keen to hear what option others had on the matter.
How often would you be changing the lids? Every time you empty a jar? Or earlier than that?

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I re-use them indefinitely, but I don't usually stove in the jar.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I also think they can be re-used several times. If the lid continues to "stick" then the seal should be good. More important is to make sure the rim is clean and no tobacco hanging over to prevent a proper seal.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm with crash on re-using pipe cleaners. And mason jar lids.
I get a new toothbrush every time I get my teeth cleaned- so my brushes are no more than 4 years old.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
Put me in with the cheap guys. So far my tobacco is intact. Pipe cleaners I use with everclear until they are black.

Hey, no one can tell you how to store your tobacco. I am lucky to be in an area that has an abundance of canning supplies at every store. But, it's always your prerogative. I buy my pipecleaners by the case on ebay, and I keep two or three boxes full at all times, they come with cool stickers that I give my girls. I actually panic when I get to just one box, ha ha. My wife jokes all the time that she can track me down by the trail of pipecleaners I leave everywhere I go.
But, I would check for any spots of rust, or breaks in the rust barrier. Check for crimps in the rubber. If you can, you might look for the old fashioned kind that doesn't have a rubber seal, and you can just get a roller to apply a coat of wax to the bottom. This is how my grandparents created a seal on their canned goods. They reused the those types lids.
I inherited their jars, and everyone in my family that stopped canning gave me theirs too. I literally have thousands of jars, and a seperate canning room for processing our foods from the garden. We live on what we grow, pretty much, and I set back hundreds of jars of each vegetables, sauces, juices, and jellies every season. The benefits of an orchard, a year round garden, and a rabbit hutch.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It’s tobacco, not nitroglycerin. I wouldn’t reuse a lid for some freshly canned tobacco that I planned to age for years. I’d certainly reuse the lid (unless visibly damaged) after I opened a jar and was going to smoke out of it.

Most of the time, when I pop open a five or more year old acidic Virginia, the lid is rusted. And, upon careful inspection of a clean looking lid, there are pinholes of rust. If I reused one of those on a blend that stays in there for 10+ or even longer, the seal could be jeopardized. But, if someone is just jarring something for their rotation that will be openned and reopenned and used up in a few month, you’re correct, it wouldn’t matter. It just depends on what your goals are, and what your resources are in getting new lids. YMMV

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Unless the tobacco being stored in the jar is very similar to what went before, I use a new lid. Cross-contamination is likely.
However, I also found a new technique with this. Some rather bland blends, when stored under a Latakia lid, end up picking up a faint smokiness which is most appealing!

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Use a new lid, they're cheap. If not, use bleach on them and heat them in the oven on 250. Something Like Ennerdale will ghost the lid. Either toss it or put more Ennerdale in the jar.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I like Ennerdale. It's got that wonderful floral almond oil, lavender, and fruit with tonquin bean that they put on everything. Good stuff. If you smoke it to fast, the urinal cake reveals it self, so you got to sip it.

Status
Not open for further replies.