PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
I have come across and unsmoked marxman bulldog pipe, and it has really caught my attention. I haven't found anything on them on this forum, but from what searching I have done I have found that they were a company from the mid thirties through the mid fifties and were bought out bought out by mastercraft. What I am curious is if anyone has any knowledge or better yet experience of this brand and what brand of pipe it would be comparable to today. Thanks for any help!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have come across and unsmoked marxman bulldog pipe, and it has really caught my attention.
While others may have opinions about Marxman pipes...

The most important aspect to enjoying the pipe is; do you like the pipe?

Is it aesthetically appealing to you personally?

If it isn't then you will never enjoy it.
So, if you are in a quandary about the quality; I will say that if you like it, as indicated by your opening statement, then you will like it. In My Humble Opinion

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
aesthetically, it is very appealing to me. It is a bull dog shape and I feel like my collection will end up containing many of those. I was just hesitant of it seeing how it is from a company that was bought out so long ago, and was curious if they had good craftsmen or if they were taken over because of poor quality

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Fair enough Nikko.
I can understand your concern. I have two pokers that I wouldn't call top shelf.

Pictures below:

One is a Dr. Grabow, the other is a Salisbury... Dr. G. I'd heard of. Salisbury, I've never seen even mentioned anywhere... Both are great pipes and wouldn't trade them for the world.
I'm not saying that every pipe is a masterpice far from it...

All I'm saying is... If you like the pipe, then you will probably like the pipe.
Dr. Grabow Viscount Adjustomatic Poker:

8.jpg

Salisbury Poker:

dsc00327-600x450.jpg

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Funny you should ask, because I just picked one up on eBay a little over a week ago and it smokes great. I pulled out the stinger and cleaned it up before loading it with a little Louisiana Red and couldn’t be happier with the way it smoked. Now IMO I have some pretty nice pipes in my collection so the one I bought for about $20 including shipping is for smoking around the house but that's not to say that it isn't nice enough to smoke anywhere. I tend to smoke short fat pipes, which is what caught my eye when I stumbled on to this one. I'll post a picture of it once I buff the stem... :puffy:

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Hey jc if you like short pipes check this one out, its actually called the short stack. I recently psted about O. Sylvester pipes and he makes stuff like this, I thought it was cool.
475861da.jpg

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
shaintiques... That one is interesting, but I'm afraid that one would run into my nose if I wasn't careful... 8O
I still need to buff the stem of mine but here are a couple pictures anyway...

AvonLake-20110920-00021.jpg

AvonLake-20110920-00018.jpg
... :puffy:

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Mr. Bruce Harris, an author, collector and IMHO the GURU of Marxman Pipes could tell you what you are interested in knowing about your pipe. Articles he has published concerning the Marxman Brand can be found in P&T Magazine's past issues. I cannot recall which one however. Bruce can usually be found at the bigger pipe shows held throughout the country. Sorry I don't have any contact info on him.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Hey jc if you like short pipes check this one out, its actually called the short stack. I recently psted about O. Sylvester pipes and he makes stuff like this, I thought it was cool.

that pipe is really cool. if i had $100 to blow id buy it in a heartbeat

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
They also had a bunch of animal carved pipes as well as faces . Of note they dont have stingers , at least the ones I have seen .

ck12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2011
olderthandirt i love the look of that pipe!! haha funny how different everyones taste is on here.

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
Thanks to the advice on this thread, I pulled the trigger, and ended up winning the auction, can't wait for the mail man, once again :roll:
the latest addition

Status
Not open for further replies.