PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I just finished binge watching the series Luke Cage and in the middle of Jessica Jones and Iron Fist. Luke Cage was awesome!!! VERY well done! Also watching characters wander through the other shows is pretty cool. I love that all these shows, as with Marvel movies, all function inside it's own world. How can you not like the interconnectivity of it all. Thus far, Jones and Iron Fist aren't as good as Cage, but still a decent way to murder time on rainy days. I do wish there was a good pipe smoking villain, but can't get too picky.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
On the plus side, just watched The Punisher (2004) and utterly convincing bad guy John Travolta smokes what looks like a Peterson... the movie is bad (too emo) but has a few moments of gratifying and unrealistic combat.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
In my lifetime, I've never seen an actor rise so high and so fast, only to fall even further. I always wonder how much of Travoltas colossal failure was his vs his managment, but either way, holy carp, what a career. Between him, his Managment, and Scientology there's more than enough failure to go around.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Scientology is interesting. So many people, and so motivated... fascinating.
Travolta strikes me as a powerful actor, capable of adjusting himself to a number of different roles, and bringing them out through his inner dramatic conflict.
Ever seen Tropic Thunder? A great satire about actors.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Scientology is interesting.
Serial killers are "interesting" also, as are decaying remains, and cheesy sebaceous secretions, but interesting or not, these are all things I don't want in my house.

Jan 8, 2013
I've yet to watch Iron Fist, but the others are good. Daredevil was absolutely fantastic! Punisher is the next one coming out, and I'm expecting it to be as good, if not better than Daredevil.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
DD season 2 is great. While S1is an A+ in my book, S2 is an A-. I liked JJ, Tenant was fantastic, and Luke Cage imo was better than Jessica. I have not been able to finish Iron Fist, and as much as I wanted this show to be the best of the lot, its painfully bad. Looking forward to The Punisher!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm into episode 5 of I.F. and I'm sad to say you're correct. I'm trying to like it which isn't a good sign. I'll move from here to Daredevil. I was taken aback by Luke Cages character appearing in Jessica, because I moved straight from one to the other with no knowledge of either.

baaron

Lurker
Aug 26, 2016
Not necessary, but it would be better to watch each series in the order they were released. Daredevil S1, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, DD S2, and then Iron Fist. Not a big deal but some things will make more sense, especially Claire. Iron fist is definitely the weakest of the series but I couldn't help but enjoy it, seemed like the most comic book-ish story out of all of them and got me excited for The Defenders in august.

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
Daredevil (both seasons) is the best of the lot, and Bernthal as the Punisher completely steals the show. I really liked Luke Cage. Jessica Jones really didn't turn my crank (found the protagonist completely unsympathetic), and as somebody who's dabbled in a few martial arts over the years, Finn Jones' martial arts skills are unimpressive and the production values on Iron Fist startlingly bad. Still going to finish both, though.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I was a fan of Krysten Ritter from before, so I really liked Jessica Jones. I was blown away by Luke Cage. That show is just amazing. It took me a couple episodes to get the stink of ben affleck off Daredevil, but that show is really really good too. Loved Scott Glenn.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
The more I reflect on Luke Cage, the more there is to like. It just nailed the tone perfectly and held it over all episodes. I even loved the montage opening to the episode which feat. Jidenna doing his song Long Live The Chief. You'd think it was written for the episode which it wasn't. I pretty much never, well rarely, binge watch, but I got sucked into that story and watched in quick succession.

Anyone liking Marvels stuff should check it out.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Serial killers are "interesting" also, as are decaying remains, and cheesy sebaceous secretions, but interesting or not, these are all things I don't want in my house.
And yet, we live in a pluralistic society, so neither you nor I have a choice. I lived through "ARSbomb" back in the USENET days and have learned how true this is.
I actually do not find serial killers "interesting," in fact the opposite. It's like the most difficult fetish in the world. I think they are a variety of hipster.
And Slayer went bad when their lyrics moved away from occult/vampires/apocalypse toward serial killers and eugenics.

Status
Not open for further replies.