PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
My friend Marty was my XO on one of my ships. I was what he called a "Super-Lietenant", always getting stuff done, never backing away from a tough job. And he gave me plenty to do, but he was always fair about it and he worked his butt off too. A good example of a leader. We would talk a lot and smoke an occasional cigar together on the 02 Level deck. He was one of the finest naval officers I served with and was truly the nicest guy in the world. He had a wife and 3 daughters, two of whom were born on that tour in Japan when we served together. He gave me five Cubans when I got rung off the ship when my tour ended (we were stationed overseas and could get thm, though pricy).
I went to law school and he eventually retired and went to work at the Pentagon, oddly for another buddy of mine. That other friend told me how Marty always sang my praises and wished I had stayed in. I was humbled that someone I looked up to as a role model thought so highly of me. When I heard of the Navy Yard shootings the first person I thought of was Marty, but then I remembered he worked at the Pentagon.
I was wrong. Marty had transferred to the Navy Yard and was killed in the shooting. I literally dropped my phone when I read the news on it. I kept meaning to look him up and drop him a line. I'm so mad at myself for not doing it. Now I can't. I learned so much about the demeanor of a good leader from him, which I use to this day in my work. My heart aches for his wife and daughters.
Hand salute! Fair winds and following seas, shipmate. We'll be underway together someday on the flip side.
http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/09/navy-yard-shooting-victims-service-held-for-martin-bodrog-94322.html

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
My condolences dread, it was a horrible tragedy and my prayers go out to his and the families to anyone who lost their live in the shooting.

~Ron

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Dread:
My condolences on a hard lesson learned.
All of us should take note here. Make that call, write a note, send an email to that old friend or somebody special in your life. Those opportunities should not be passed by.
I'm so sorry for the loss of this good man, Dread.
Fnord

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Dread, thanks for the candid remembrance of your friend and what he meant to you. My condolences on the loss of your friend and mentor.
-- Pat

Aug 1, 2012
My deepest sympathies sir. Life has a way of doing things like this...doesn't make it any easier though.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
You have my most sincere and heartfelt sympathies. My heart goes out to you and his family. Some questions just don't have answers...

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Hey dread, I'm really not being funny here and maybe this is just a Brit point of view. But it has struck me, so do you still think that your avatar looks OK in the light of this thread?
Wow... Just wow..... I can't believe that you went there in this thread...... Pitiful if you ask me. Even if you don't ask, still pitiful. I have my own feelings on that and let's just say that we will agree to disagree.
Dread, I am truly sorry for your loss of a fantastic friend. From your heartfelt description I can tell he is still alive within your heart. God bless you and his family. And thank you both for your service.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
My condolences Dread.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and you, inadequate as they are.

I will smoke a pipe tonight and contemplate how grateful I am; for the sacrifices our current, future, and past Veterans have made for our Country, my family, and me.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I know lots of Brits who are opinionated but also know know when to be appropriate, considerate, sympathetic and not boorish.
Bad form, Peter.
Fnord

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Peter I"ve watched you for a while , trying to goad Roth"s choices of words, now you sully a mans death with a comment about an avatar, I like Brits, served with them in the Asian theatre, you my friend and I"m gonna use an Americanism , You ain"t worth a bucket of warm spit.

Status
Not open for further replies.