PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
What do you think of Mars? Do many of you guys shop here? I only shopped there once for some of the old Blue banded Don Mateos, years ago.

May 31, 2012
:worship:

Mars is one of the best in my book.
They also carry G&H Dark Plug which is hard to find.
The best Esoterica.
Nice selection of fair-priced pipes.
Trueblue goodguys.

:puffy:

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
The cigars I ordered were online but they came delivered in good shape, as I remember. Never have talked with a rep there, but this is good to hear.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I used to use him a lot years ago but then spent most of my money with SP because of their quantity discounts. 10 % off on 25 tins is tough to beat. He always shipped promptly and was easy to deal with.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I've ordered quite a bit from Mars..... ALWAYS been satisfied. In fact, just a month or so ago I noticed he had GLP Westminster(my fave GLP) in the 16 oz. tins...... I snapped it up and to my delight when I received it the tin was dated Feb. 2010!! :D

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
It's too bad they don't ship to Canada. As a matter of fact neither does Pipes and Cigars. And they are both located in Pennsylvania.
Mark

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
The prices are competitive. My favorite internet ordering experience is to place an order and simply have it show up 3 days later. That's always happened with MARS. To be fair it always happens with P&C and SP too. And I think I bought once or twice from 4 Noggins and Cup O' Joe's. Same deal. They are all good.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I occasionally find hard to beat deals with Mars and they ship promptly and accurately as others have reported. They don't take Master Card or PayPal. Mike said that MC has severe restrictions on tobacco transactions, which is peculiar because no other vendor appears to have a problem with them.
He does take Visa and Discover and I once paid for an order with a money order. Obviously, this slows down the turn around. Mike is also adverse to using the phone but does respond relatively promptly to email inquiries.
But if you have a Visa or Discover, he is as fast as anyone else.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Interesting. My "new" bank issued me a MC when I joined and that was 3 years ago, so I guess that would be a hindrance for me. Cup o Joes!! Now there is a name/place I have not used in quite a while. I'll have to go to their site and remind myself who they are...thanks!

I by almost exclusively from PCC and SPC with Noggins coming in a distant 3rd. PCC just has seemed to have the pipes I want and the tobacco too and at the best price I've found.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Sometimes vendors got hot on a forum. I used to be on another forum when Mars, Boswell and Bosi were all the rage. Someone would get a Boswell pipe, then someone else would, then they'd post how fabulous the pipes were, etc. But the hubbub passed.
As said, don't call Mike Rutt, use email. He doesn't answer the phone but is prompt with email. He gets Dark Plug as a favor from someone in the distribution network, but I've never heard that he can get anything else not distributed in the US. I asked him specifically about Dark Plug Rose Geranium, and he said one word, "no."

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Mars is legit, I've ordered from them numerous times with zero issues and will do so again in the future, no doubt. The last bag of penzance and Stoney I scored from them I paid $22.99 a piece for the 8 oz bags. Can't beat that with a stick.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Within the past year, i think around 9 or so months ago. I had to wipe my eyes and pinch myself to be sure it was real. Real as steel. Not sure if they will stay at that price or not, but that is the price i paid for each bag, i went and double checked in my account.

Status
Not open for further replies.