Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Many years ago I recall occasionally catching a US comedy called Married With Children on late night TV. We (my girlfriend and I) thought it was hilarious. Sadly it has not been shown here for many years so I looked into seeing if it was available on DVD. Sure enough it was on Amazon, but what shocked me was it is a 33 disc set with many dozen episodes! I never realised they made so many.
Well it arrived this morn so I'll start watching it tonight. Was this popular in the States I wonder? I would find it hard to believe it wasn't.
Regards,
Jay.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
It was daytime tv in Sweden. Not very popular but personally I find it sometimes hilarious!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That was one of our "shock comedy" shows, (sort of a modern "3's Company"). It was entertaining for a short while, but I don't find that the show held up well over time, particularly towards the end of the run. I'll be curious to see your opinion from a British perspective.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Loved that show when I was a kid! Blatently offensive, crude humor, scantily dressed women, and Katey Sagal!
414207-peggy_large_400x400.jpg

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
I loved this show, my parents and I would watch it. And I had the biggest teenage crush on Kelly Bundy.
YihHciq.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well I watched the first disc tonight. So far so good and pretty much as I remembered it but two things really annoy me...the unduly long intro to each episode (easily fast forwarded) and that pet hate of mine...canned laughter.
Other than that I'm pleased thus far with the purchase though I doubt I'll binge watch it as I did with the excellent 'Deadwood', 'Boardwalk Empire' and that brilliant series about the meth lab scientists whose name escapes me.
Regards,
Jay.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
The first few seasons were ok but when they abandoned sense and logic, that’s when the show really came life. True comedy gold.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
After growing up on The Andy Griffith Show, Petticoat Junction, Gunsmoke, Leave It To Beaver and everything else wholesome, Married With Children was quite a shock to watch! I have seen some episodes years ago and thought they were amusing.
mawnasmiff, you are right about the annoying laugh tracks. Somebody here (Maybe it was on Reddit) once posted a youtube link to segments of Big Bang Theory without the canned laughter and it is awkward to watch to say the least. I imagine the script reads, "Deliver lame punchline, wait four seconds for insertion of recorded laughter, then continue with the next lame one liner." The pauses without the laughter are very strange.

Jun 27, 2016
The laughter is real in MWC, they recorded in front of a live studio audience. They became a big element of the show!
I thought that the show was a bit of a drag for the most part, but some stuff was funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.