Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Marmite

(35 posts)
  1. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The bagel, english muffin, crumpet thread got me thinking about Marmite. I tried it last Christmas on a dinner roll and the distinct salty flavor is not for me. Any comments?

Posted 7 months ago #
  2. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A friend that I worked with about 20 years ago lived in the UK for a while. He introduced me to Marmite and I was hooked! I like strongly flavored things and this was a great discovery for me. I currently have a couple of jars in the pantry. I tried the Australian version Vegemite, and although good I didn't like it as much.

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 7 months ago #
  3. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's a love it or hate it food. I am in the love it camp.

Posted 7 months ago #
  4. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use it for upping the umami in chili, stews (esp those with hearty cuts of beef or venison), and occasionally in my bolognese.

"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and sex, you don't actually live longer; it just seems that way."
    Posted 7 months ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

ukbob

Login to Send PM

Can’t stand the stuff, good for hook bait dip though.

Posted 7 months ago #
  6. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had Vegemite in Afghanistan at one of the NATO bases. Is that similar?

It was ok.

Posted 7 months ago #
  7. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Awesome stuff. Nothing better than Two Fried Eggs and white toast with a thin spread of Marmite. Add a cup of tea and it’s the breakfast of champions! Agreed, it’s not for everyone. Try it again, spread thin on white toast and dip the toast in the egg yolk. If you still hate it, then more for those who love it.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 7 months ago #
  8. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not sure about Vegemite, never tried it. I would be interested to know if they're similar.

Posted 7 months ago #
  9. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Vegemite is incredibly similar to those who are unfamiliar with either, and incredibly different to a fan of either. Ha. It's hard to explain.

Posted 7 months ago #
  10. georgebmcclelland

georgebmcclelland

Login to Send PM

I wish I had some Marmite for my toast this morning...

Posted 7 months ago #
  11. tfdickson

tfdickson

Login to Send PM

I honestly thought this thread was about a new stem material.

Posted 7 months ago #
  12. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not a fan of either, but I can put soy sauce on just about anything. And I salt my butter if it's the naked kind.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Blech. If I want something insanely salty, I'll suck on a saladito.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  14. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I honestly thought this thread was about a new stem material.

Haha, I was thinking along those lines too before I clicked on.

Regarding Marmite/Vegemite, I can't remember for sure which one it was but a quick whiff was enough to satisfy any curiosity.

Tim
    Posted 7 months ago #
  15. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

aldecaker: Oh yeah, saladitos are a fave of mine too. I mean salt and dried plums, what's not to like? Can't find them around here.

Posted 7 months ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What's in Marmite?

“I've been treating you with courtesy and respect because that's the way I choose to treat everyone. But never, ever mistake kindness with weakness.”
    ― Louise Penny, Still Life
    Posted 7 months ago #
  17. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

From Wikipedia...Marmite (/ˈmɑːrmaɪt/ MAR-myte) is a British food spread produced by Unilever. Marmite is made from yeast extract, a by-product of beer brewing. Other similar products include the Australian Vegemite (the name of which is derived partly from that of Marmite), the Swiss Cenovis, and the German Vitam-R.

Posted 7 months ago #
  18. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anyone tried Marmite XO? Extra Old, made from 4 different yeasts for a stronger richer taste. (or quicker death depending on your feelings for Marmite)

Posted 7 months ago #
  19. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some restaurants and hotels in the UK have these little single serve packets.
    Friend of mine brought a bunch back from London but I havent mustered the courage to try it yet.

Tobacco's a help because it clears the mind
    But like all your friends it is vilified
    They always say, the right amount's fine
    Posted 7 months ago #
  20. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Go for it Brian and let all know what you think about it.

Posted 7 months ago #
  21. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey Brian, the stuff is incredibly sticky and hard to spread, which usually leads to using too much. You want to avoid that and I assume that's why a lot of people don't like it. If you get too much of it in your mouth it's very strong and overwhelming. It won't hurt you, but smaller amounts mixed with butter make it a unique spread. So soften up an equal amount of butter and mix it with the Marmite and try it on a cracker. Yep, it's a love it or hate it flavor, but you might like it. Report back to us on your thoughts.

Posted 7 months ago #
  22. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

soften up an equal amount of butter and mix it with the Marmite

Maybe my problem was I pulled out a gob of Marmite out of the jar and spread it on a dinner roll like it was butter. I put it on pretty thick. I might have to try it again and re-evaluate my taste for it.

Posted 7 months ago #
  23. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"What's in Marmite?"

Marmite was originally a by product of the Burton Brewery at Burton On Trent here in jolly old England.

It was basically the residue after the brewing process with salt added, indeed the Marmite factory was built next door to the brewery for convenience.

Hated the stuff as a kid but nowadays I love it on hot buttered toast.....yum yum

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 7 months ago #
  24. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Food made from cultures is iffy for me. I like many many cheeses, so there's that. I don't like plain yogurt much. I do like tofu in Chinese food, flavored by soy and other foods. It's interesting that Marmite hasn't caught on in the U.S. much at all, not even with Brooklyn trend setters. Unrelated to cultured foods, I eat probably too much peanut butter. My wife shudders at the things I'll eat it on.

Posted 7 months ago #
  25. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love the stuff!

Posted 7 months ago #
  26. renfield

renfield

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Decades ago in high school an exchange student introduced me to the stuff. He watched quietly as I spread it on a piece of bread as though it were peanut butter and then laughed his ass off when I took a bite. Waaaaaaayyyy too much. I think I can still taste it.

Posted 7 months ago #
  27. timelord

timelord

Login to Send PM

Speaking as an Irishman, brought up in England and now living in Australia I would urge caution when comparing vegemite with marmite

Aussies are convinced that marmite is inferior to vegemite and the Poms consider vegemite to be inferior to marmite and possibly even the spawn of the devil (true lovers can get quite excitable about the merits of the various products - personally I like them both). One of my fellow ex-pat friends stocks up on Marmite every time he returns to the UK (no idea why; it's easy enough to find Marmite in the major Aussie supermarkets!).

One indication of how important Vegemite is to Aussies is that one of the final things you encounter in airport duty free are toothpaste sized tubes of Vegemite by the cashier - handy for when traveling to uncivilised parts of the world where it can be difficult to find the stuff (i.e. anywhere that isn't Australia ) No true Aussie is putting PB and J on their morning toast...

Newbies to vegemite/marmite might struggle to tell the difference but marmite is slightly saltier than vegemite and both should be used sparingly (at first; hard core lovers of these spreads can eat it by the spoonful).

As others have mentioned; both are love/hate products but the link below might provide enlightenment to anyone who is unfamiliar with these spreads; it is from the English edition of the Guardian newspaper and rather eulogises Marmite but I've seen similar articles where the roles of Marmite and Vegemite have been pretty much reversed!

article in the Guardian re Vegemite and Marmite

Posted 7 months ago #
  28. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Marmite is the third wonder of the world. You can eat it on toast, cook with it and use it to color meerschaum pipes!

Posted 7 months ago #
  29. mikefu

mikefu

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like Marmite. Particularly on toast with eggs for breakfast. Vegemite not as much.

Posted 7 months ago #
  30. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

".....use it to color meerschaum pipes!"

Simon, you're not supposed to smoke the damned stuff.....ye gods

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 7 months ago #
  31. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Trust me Jay its an improvement on some toppings I have experienced!

Posted 7 months ago #
  32. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Marmite sounds like another name for chiggers. Tiny biting bugs, for those not familiar or who know them by another name.

Posted 7 months ago #
  33. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love Marmite and always have a jar on hand. I was introduced to it when I lived in a house with six Brits back in the early 1990's. It works better as a compliment to certain condiments and the trick is to spread it thin.

It's great on hot buttered toast, on a peanut butter sandwich, with eggs and toast, cheese sandwiches etc...

Now, how about some Branston Pickle?

...and maybe a Flake for dessert?

A man that hoards up riches and enjoys them not, is like an ass that carries gold and eats thistles.
    -Richard Burton
    Posted 7 months ago #
  34. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Marmite arrived in the mail. It was delicious spread on buttered toast. Spread VERY thinly. lol

My experience with Vegemite is from 2006 so I cannot fairly compare them. BUT the jar of that is on its way and should be here by 5 january or so.

Posted 7 months ago #
  35. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What is it with this place and the power of suggestion? Even though I shuddered when I smelled this stuff a few months ago, now I want to place an order for it and have it on my morning toast.

Posted 7 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   kenbarnes, danish, jaytex969, lukasstrifeson