PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I just watched a scene where he seemed to be intentionally rubbing the bowl of his pipe along his nostrils/nose alternating on both sides..was he employing some sort of enhancement technique?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
newbroom:
My guess is that Mr. Brando was polishing his pipe. To the best of my limited knowledge the use of the oil exuded by human skin (in lieu of wax polish) in this manner is an age-old method of enhancing the beauty of briar.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I thought that might be the idea. He was placing the heel and bowl area alongside his nose. The pipe, of course, was empty. It was somewhat of an acting affectation, but I figured it had its roots in normal practice.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As an actor, Brando had the trait of sometimes drawing so much attention to himself that he upstaged the

production. He certainly commanded the screen over and over. I didn't see The Chase and the pipe nose

rubbing scene, but at least it is intriguing that he either smoked a pipe enough, or researched pipe smoking

so that he knew about this nose oil practice. He was among the great actors, but extravagantly peculiar in

his career and life. It's in the eye of the beholder, partly, but I always thought that Richard Burton brought

vast energy to roles but also infused the cast around him with intensity. The filmed version of The Taming

of the Shrew is among my favorites, as is his Henry VIII in Anne of a Thousand Days.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, Monroe was a major actor. She was always written off as a sex pot, which fueled her depression,

but boy, she could infuse a role with magnetism, humor, and life, as no one else, and always drew the

other actors with her. Even her birthday serenade of JFK had an incredible kind of tragic vibrance, while

being "right naughty" at the same time. Brando did an amazing Godfather, and his On The Waterfront

character was earthy and tragic. He provided a sort of weighty power to Apocalypse Now, a nearly doomed

production. And the young Brando's masterpiece was Streetcar Named Desire. But he sure did some odd

ones and often upstaged his career with his life. His character in Godfather was almost immoral in making

a murderous old gangster a sort of tragic royal and romantic figure.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I watched another old movie yesterday. I don't have the title. I was amazed to watch Fred Astaire do a tap routine while smoking a cigarette and throwing pop rocks.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
mcitinner1:
Concerning "Holiday Inn," I loved Mr. Crosby's character's idea about working only on holidays, and the following exchange with his love-interest Linda:
Linda: "Fifteen holidays a year...you're a lazy fellow."

Jim: "No, not especially; I just have my own ideas about living."
How could anyone NOT like a character such as that!

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Hunter, Yes that's a cool line, also in case you didn't see it, I added a post in the MM video thread aimed at the factory in Washington.

Status
Not open for further replies.