PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
I've posted this before:
This blend comes in a nice tin adorned with an antique looking yellow label. Upon opening the pop top I was greeted with a sweet, slightly sour smelling, long folded flake, smelled wonderful. Moisture content was a little damp, but this actually worked quite well and I needed no drying time. Now I will say getting this lit took quite a few false lights, but once the chamber was glowing and slightly ashy things went very well. I have had dryer flakes take just as long or longer so no big deal; its the nature of this tobacco and not the moisture content IMO. The flavor was divine and the aroma was superb. I tracked notes of brown sugar, hay, toasted nuts, sweet sourdough and a nice natural smokiness. The perique added a slight strength, but not in heat, this burned very cooly after getting it going. The Black Cav, mellowed this out nicely and made the traditional hay taste/aroma more subdued and pleasant. The BC also added some body which was very appealing. This has been a regular of mine for quite some time and will continue to be so. HOTW and OG are quite good as well but for me OG is too mild, while HOTW is a little too strong and is monogustative; the Marlin does strengthen and change flavors as the bowl proceeds downward. 4 Stars.
My question is how do you wake up? This is my go to wake up blend. When I want smoke in the early hours a Balkan/English does not usually work for me so this works just perfectly...what do you like?

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
I tried some for the first time last night.
It's some 2005 Martin Flake that was gifted to me by forum member clickklick.
I found your review very interesting, because some of the flavors you described were very muted. Then again, a couple of them were very pronounced.
I'm glad you reposted it though. It helped me put a name to some of the things I was tasting and smelling.
I'm getting ready to pack the last of it (after Gold Rush goes off). I'll be interested to see what I taste when smoking it this time because of having read your review of it.
What is the phrase, "don't look at the purple dragon"?
Either way, I very much enjoyed it. It combined a lot of the things I want in a blend.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
Monogustative means singular in taste, which is not necessarily a bad thing at all.
I too enjoy it greatly, my favorite, sweetish/savory blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.