Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

Marlborough pipes?

(8 posts)
  1. kibo

kibo

Login to Send PM

Has anyone here purchased, heard of, or have any kind of information on Marlborough pipes? I recently scored this estate pipe, marked Marlborough 699...it was a $1 deal, can't lose, and its a champion of a smoker, but I was curious to know more about it, who made them, etc.

"Ask not for whom the bone bones; it bones for thee."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. redbeard

redbeard

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is very interesting, I have never heard of these before. Good deal there for a buck!

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

With the term 'imported briar' and the spelling, it could have been made for a pipe shop in Marlborough, MA.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. kibo

kibo

Login to Send PM

I've seen a couple of these go on the block, and they go for pretty reasonable prices...I'm thinking of snagging a couple more. I kind of feel like they aren't commanding higher prices because no one can find any concrete info on them! Then again, I love my Lorenzo, and I've heard a few people complain about their Lorenzos...maybe I just got lucky? redbeard, thanks for the compliment and coalsmoke, good looking out on that theory, seems highly plausible.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. kibo

kibo

Login to Send PM

Just wanted to share an update...I got an inlaw to dig around (seeing as they live in MA, I thought maybe they could find something up there, maybe from someone in a local smokeshop who might take extra special interest in local pipe history) and what I got back was that these Marlborough pipes are seconds from a bigger manufacturer, and the fellow she talked to said he believes that these are Sasieni seconds. Still have not found concrete evidence of this, but if anyone knows of a way to trace there the company seconds go and what names they might sell under, might be able to confirm or refute this. Either way, I'll be watching for these Marlborough pipes, cause this was a big win to me!

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can't beat that for a buck!

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

From what I can see on http://www.pipephil.eu, Marlborough isn't listed as a Sasieni second. The mystery continues...swell pipe for just a buck! Wouldn't be great to have a pipes dollar store?

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. kibo

kibo

Login to Send PM

It's a headscratcher for sure... A pipes dollar store would be a hoot, but likely it'd be cobs and and Brylon, mostly. I can't find anything to tie it to Sasieni (or anyone else for that matter), just second/third hand word of mouth. So I got nothing, haha. Thanks coalsmoke, petes03, and redbeard!

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   odobenus, craig61a, disinformatique, condorlover1