PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Heretofore, when it came to cobs, I have smoked Country Gents almost exclusively. However, this new Mark Twain may convert me over. Love the weight, balance, and bowl thickness.
Any fans out there?
(As a side note, that very first bowl in a new cob filled with burley is quite an extraordinary and irreplaceable experience. I had forgotten how wonderful and unique this flavor is.)

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I have two Mark Twain's, both with replacement stems. For the same reasons you have mentioned, I love both the size and thickness of the bowl.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I have over a dozen cobs, some off the shelf, some with Forever stems, some custom made by Riccardo Santia. All the MMs smoke well and some are terrific. The Mark Twain is one that is terrific, surpassed only by the Freehands. The MT has the advantage over the Freehand of being a good clencher. I use a Country Gentleman and Eatons for Lakelands and other fragrant tobaccos.
Pax

jmsutton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
I love mine. I have a few different MMs and love how each of them have different character about them. The thickness of the bowl and the bend is what really sold me over to be a true fan.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife gave me a MM freehand natural-white cob for Christmas with a great big conical bowl and

an acrylic stem. It's an hour or more of smoking and is a fine smoker. These are pricey as cobs go,

but not for a pipe. If you are in the market for a new cob, I'd definitely recommend this one.

momeerphil

Might Stick Around
Oct 26, 2009
The Mark Twain is one of my favorite pipes, also. We hadn't made a corn cob pipe with a Dublin style bowl since the early 1900s. We need large cobs to make these pipes. They are really nice with a natural bowl, also.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I have two Country Gentleman cobs, and just picked up a Mark Twain. I do like the large cobs (I also have a "smokable seconds" Great Dane that's reserved for Black House) - they fit nicely in my hands, but are still light enough to be good clenchers.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Just ordered 12 of the amber straight Danish bits to re-fit my current rotation of cobs. Somethin about the cheap plastic bits I like...

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I haven't tried the Twain but I love my Country Gentleman. How would you compare them? Is the bowl size similar?
The Mark Twain has a significantly narrower inside bowl diameter, with significantly thicker walls. It's a true Dublin shape in a cob, whereas the Country Gent is more of a billiard as it regards interior bowl dimensions. Both are great pipes.

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
I haven't smoked a cob in a while however when I saw the Mark Twain I decided that I had to have one. This pipe is a great smoker and I am looking forward to getting another one.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
My favorite has and is the 5th avenue. I picked up a couple of MTs and guess what? Same bowl size as the 5th.

MarkTwainvs5thAve.jpg

20140718_150242.jpg

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I have two MTs and love them. They handle everything I throw at them, and I throw a lot at them every day!
If I had to have a go-to daily pipe, it would be the MT.

Status
Not open for further replies.