PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vabriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2012
mario-grandi-600x450.jpg

This morning I pulled the trigger on this bad boy! Just yesterday I discovered Mario Gandi pipes and when I started looking at them this pipe jumped out at me. I went to bed thinking about it, woke up thinking about it, then said enough just buy it. Not knowing much about Mario Grandi I did a little research and it seems they are a good bang for the buck if you look closely and avoid obvious flaws. I saw many for sale that were really great looking pipes but after taking a closer look at the pictures I could see some flaws that I didn't want in a pipe for that price. The picture of the one I bought shows a little gap at the base of the stem on the top side (I know I'm being picky here) but it doesn't look that bad but I will have to wait and see it in person. It's funny to see how my tastes in pipes has changed over the years and I have grown to appreciate the more abstract styles, this being my first. I have high hopes that this pipe wont disappoint because I would love to add more artisan styled pipes to my collection but I cant afford artisan prices. Anyone care to share pictures of Mario Grandis they own and their experiences?

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I bought one last year for around $100 and it's been a good pipe. Smokes well right from the start. Dry, clean smoke, just a nice pipe. The only thing that I don't care for is the button. It's huge and uncomfortable for me to clench. However I just make sure I don't grab it, unless I'm going to be doing a lot of sitting.
Let us know how you make out!

vabriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2012
jah76- I have read other reviews that mention the same dislike for the buttons. Do you think putting a softy bit on the pipe would be a good solution or is the button to big for that? Thanks for your input!

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Its not a deal breaker for me. Just something I'd keep in mind if I bought another. I don't think the rain coat softie would help.
Your going to like your Grandi. Mine tasted great with hardly any break in time.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
This is the one I bought a month ago. I really like it, and smokes like a dream for the price. I'ts not as radical as some of the designs that are usually up on ebay. I have this weird obsession with cheery wood style pokers.
Mine doesn't have any major flaws just really small blemishes here and there. Really I can't afford the high end pipes either. I'm going to go track down a Dunhill cheery wood when I'm completely done with engineering school.
2013-07-05122159.jpg

vabriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2012
I haven't had time to get these pictures up until now but here she is. Like many other reviews stated, my pipe was shipped from Italy in 2 days!

img_2218-600x337.jpg

Haven't smoked it yet but unless it smokes horrible I am extremely happy with the purchase and will be looking to add more MG's to my collection in the future.

img_2221-600x337.jpg

img_2224-600x337.jpg

For size comparison here it is next to my group 4 Dunhill

img_2222-600x337.jpg

The only small gripe I have is the small imperfection on the top rim that looks like a black line (more noticeable in person). On ebay it appeared to be glare from the finish. Oh and looking at the picture it appears that the bowl is drilled off center but it is not, it's just the curves on the top that make it look that way.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Great thing about artisan pipes is that you aren't going to find another one just like it. The more

distinctive the design, the more this is true. I have a mountain laurel pipe, a sort of pot/poker

sitter hybrid, where the carver allowed the bowl to be slightly irregular (you have to look closely).

It's like Japanese pottery where the irregularity is part of the artistry. New, it looked good and kind

of interesting. With age, it looks absolutely venerable. Better and better. Yours is a beautiful pipe,

love the shank. A lot of thought and intelligence in the design.

vabriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2012
mso489- I agree about the artisan pipes and until recently I never had an taste for the non-standard styles but this ones style really grabbed me. Your mountain laurel pipe sounds interesting, any chance of posting a picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.