PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
I've noticed quite a former Marines on here posting and I thought you might appreciate this one.
Today starting at 0500 I was part of a division, I repeat division formation run! My battalion was the first in the long line of marines. We ran 3 miles (1.5 out and 1.5 back)and when my battalion finished the run the last battalion in the division had not begun yet. 3 miles of marines running to cadence. I was pretty damn motivating! 8)
Any one else have similar experiences to share? (any service)

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
In a land far-far away, and long-long-long time ago.... Hawaii, 1980.
Being one of "those wingers" we didn't have a whole lot of Unit Runs save during PFTs.

But, I did participate in the Oahu 140 Perimeter Relay with 4 other Marines.

It was a privilege to be a member of that team. One pilot from the "Black Sheep", two members of different "Swift Silent & Deadly" Platoons, and one other of "those wingers" (an Avionics Tech like yours truly). "The Super Grunts, Maj. Mustache, Javalin Catcher, and me "Wizard" had a great time running 10 miles together three times a day for two months. Javalin Catcher (Lonnie) and I were called the SBW twins... (that's Slime Ball Wingers" :D It was an expression of their jealousy over our "long hair" and mustaches :D ... Maj. Mustache didn't catch any of that... but his hair was longer and mustache bigger than mine or Lonnie's ) Getting to know those guys as we trained together and enduring the race together was quite the motivational experience. Even though we were all from completely different units, we were a well oiled machine, and finished first...

With a nod of respect to the other teams (Navy, Air Force, Army)... Our military teams finished in First, Second, Third, and Fourth. There was no more than good natured jibes between all 16 of us. Can't say the same for the civilian teams... They all seemed to be a bit miffed. :rofl:

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
Shaintiques - I'm out in Camp Lejeune NC. The only place with more Marines than civilians for 50 miles :)
Lawrence - That is awesome! I can't imagine someone actually had a bigger mustache that yours! :rofl:

But on a more serious note, congratulations! It seems about accurate that the military teams would take the top four spots (the Marine reining supreme of course!). Some buddies (fellow Marines) and I are training for the Blue Ridge Relay, a 208 mile relay across North Carolina. It's not set in stone yet because we still need 4 more people to max out our team, but I'm definitely looking forward to it 8)

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
For three of my twenty years, I trained recruits at Parris Island, eleven platoons. (January '75 to December '77) It may sound funny, but I hated to run. But ran none the less as any Marine knows. I couldn't run a hundred yards now, but have many memories. Simper Fi Marines.
EyesRight.jpg

CommandInspection.jpg

240160.jpg

(I never, ever yelled at the recruits when they had grenades or .45's in their hands!)

45sjpg.jpg

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
I never, ever yelled at the recruits when they had grenades or .45's in their hands!
Marines may be bold but I don't think they're that bold (or dumb!) :rofl:

I don't think any marines actually enjoy running, it's just one of those things that, after doing it so much, we're numbed to.

That's awesome though! Thank you for posting those pictures. I don't think I have the mentality to be a DI; I'd go insane trying to deal with so many recruits 24/7. I am, however, submitting a package for MSG in the fall/winter!

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
as a grunt, (army), i hated the grenade range. you could count on some fumble fingered idiot dropping one and your hyeart would stop until you knew if the pin was still in it or not... being a range safety nco in a grenade pit will age you, especily if you are the junior nco.

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
I never served, but want to thank anyone who did. I would not be enjoying the rights I do if it wasn't for you guys.

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
as a grunt, (army), i hated the grenade range. you could count on some fumble fingered idiot dropping one and your hyeart would stop until you knew if the pin was still in it or not... being a range safety nco in a grenade pit will age you, especily if you are the junior nco.
I can't say I've had to be a range NCO dealing with that, but just beig at the grenade range when someone drops one is enough to make everyone within 50 yards s#!t themselves!

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Just found out that pstlpkr (Lawrence) was in one of my units. He was a recruit being trained at Parris Island during Sept - Dec '77 while I was training my last platoon. He was in 2209 and I was training 2211. His Senior Drill Instructor was a pipe smoker also and a good friend of mine. SSgt. Blyle is here, top row center... that's me, top row second from the left.
The Officers and Men of "D" Company, 2nd Battalion - December 1977

11.jpg

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Just wanted to add that one of my twins is attending the University of Kansas courtesy of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. Our Ben is also the first Marine on my side of the family and my wife's as well. We couldn't be prouder of him - he came to this decision entirely on his own - but we do question this new habit he's developed of dropping to the floor,(deck, that is) and doing 25 pushups for the Corps and 5 more for Chesty.
We've been introducing their mom to the TV series, "Justified," and last night during episodes 5 through 8 from Season One my son got up on four different occasions and gave the Corps a little sweat equity. We have him home for five more weeks before he attends his first summer "cruise" - a month long tour of four Naval/Marine bases on the East Coast.
My hat is and will always be off to you Leathernecks: past and present. I was visiting with a retired Marine at my in-laws retirement home several weeks ago and this ancient, walker aided Jarhead told me that Marines never retire, "It just takes us a little bit longer to get there when the bugle blows."
How in the hell can you not love a guy like that?
Semper Fi,
Fnord

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
fnord,

My youngest son is at OCS at Quantico, VA. He is attending Penn State on a NROTC Marine Option scholarship. You are right to be proud of your son; NROTC is a tremendous comittment and between that and regular classes they have little free time. And not to mention that those scholarships are very competetive; intentionally so, for the Marines believe that "They choose you, you don't choose them."
Andy has no illusions or romantic notions about war,he believes that his country has to be defended and he can't stand by while others are risking everything to protect us. Two of his best friends from high school are on Marine scholarships at Penn State and are at OCS too. Another friend is at the USMA,West Point. All of them were deeply afected by 9/11.

God bless them all,I believe that someday people will reconize this generation of Marines,soldiers,sailors and airmen as one of the greatest generations.

As a poster in their apartment reads " America is not at war, the Marines at at war, America is at the mall"

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Hia, Carlo:
Congratulations to you, your wife and your son on his achievement. Ben had a tremendous amount of competition for his scholarship and I believe the deciding factor was that he was the only Eagle Scout who applied for the Marine Option.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if your Andy is at OCS does that mean he just completed his Junior year at Penn State? (I remember Ben saying something along that line several months ago.)
Hopefully, Carlo, our sons will spend most of their active duty years becoming intimately acquainted with Okinawa or the new base in Australia as opposed to the sandbox. In the meantime, I'll add your son to my nightly prayers.
Fnord

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
Fnord,

Thank you for the kind words and prayers. My wife and I will include Ben in ours.
I'm sure being an Eagle Scout was a major factor; sounds like you and your wife raised a great son.

You are correct; Andy will be a senior next year and will be commissioned upon graduation. OCS is the summer between junior and senior year.
There are not many colleges that offer NROTC; only three in PA, Penn State, Carnegie Mellon and Villanova I believe. The NROTC is one reason why Andy chose PSU.
Interesting thing, the Major told Andy's CO that due to budget & manpower cut backs some of them will be sent to reserves after basic school and another bunch as soon as they make 1st Lt. He said it is doubtful that any of them will serve 4 years active duty. And the scholarships have virtually dried up; the number of freshman and sophomores in the Marine Option at PSU is very low as a result. But we all know how fast things can change.
I second your thoughts about Okinawa and Australia. It is easy to become dismayed by what we see in our popular culture but when I see kids like Ben and Andy I realize that our country is going to be OK.
Thanks again and all the best to your son

Status
Not open for further replies.