Tags:  No tags yet. 

Marines...

(32 posts)
  1. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Folks:

One of my twin sons, Ben, is currently going through the United States Marine Corps Officer Candidates School in Quantico, Virginia. He's been gone for three weeks and, aside from a hurried and required written paragraph home to his parents, we haven't heard from him since the USMC commandeered his smartphone two days before the course started.

Ben is the square jawed, blue eyed young man on the right of this pix and we miss him very much. At 12:45 in the morning, Central Time, he's either racked out, studying in the head or standing fire watch. (If you're so inclined please remember him and his brothers in your prayers.)

These young men are your future front line of defense and they'll stand the wall gladly.

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Awesome. Thank your son for me. He's in my prayers as are all servicemen.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Thank your son for me for his service. You are a lucky father. I will certainly keep him in my prayers.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Will do. You should be proud of your son, us Marines is a tough group, we live by motto of first one in last one out OORAH, and Theeir is no such thing as an ex Marine.
    Semper FI

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. conlejm

conlejm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You must be so proud of your son. I wish him great success, that he serve proudly, and may God bless him and all our service men and women.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He looks like a fine soldier and leader. Congrats fnord!

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As a Navy man I salute all the Marines , peopl who know their shit, shoot great, almost can cuss like a Navy man, their only fault is shining their Brass in the Passageway of a ship, They all do it so it must be trained in em. On a serious note their is nothing more honorable than serving your country. Squared away young man, I"m proud of him like you are Jim. Semper Fi.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. cynyr

cynyr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
    ― Ronald Reagan

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. irish

Gary

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Outstanding looking young man. Congrats to you Jim and thank your son for me.

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Corps stands up for its song into their old age. Once a Marine, always a Marine. I got out of the Navy, mostly,
    but you never get out of the Corps. Safe passage to your son, and his dad.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. yazamitaz

yazamitaz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ooh Rah. Semper Fi Jim.

He will be fine dad, he is in GOOD hands.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. rangerearthpig

rangerearthpig

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He looks like a squared away stud. Congrats.

RLTW!
    Posted 5 years ago #
  13. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Will do, Semper FI!

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. andystewart

andystewart

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congratulations Jim and well done to your boy. He will always be a man apart and a son to be proud of.

Andy

"I don’t know how else to say it: you don’t see bums smoking pipes." Charlie Kramer
    Posted 5 years ago #
  15. teufelhund

teufelhund

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's not unusual to not hear from anyone in training for a while. It took about a month for my letters to be received at home and 6 weeks for me to receive mail at MCRD San Diego when I was there. Mail isn't very efficient when it's just chasing you. It's alittle different there though since training back then was between MCRD and Camp Pendleton. I'm sure he'll write when he has some square away time that isn't devoted to polishing something. God bless!.

Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world. - Irish Proverb
    Posted 5 years ago #
  16. ravkesef

ravkesef

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congratulations on raising such a fine son!

Eric
    Posted 5 years ago #
  17. carlomarx

carlomarx

Login to Send PM

Looking good, Jim! I was thinking about Ben the other day, wondering if he was in the first increment. He looks great. OCS is tough, but I'm sure he'll make it. Don't expect many letters from Ben but write to him as often as you can, it'll mean the world to him.

Are you going to the graduation? I know how proud you are, you've raised a fine man. Ben will be in my prayers tonight for sure.

Bill

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. marine33

marine33

Login to Send PM

Semper Fi.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think I misspoke in my earlier post. I can still sing all the words to the Navy Hymn, at least the first verse,
    and my wife marvels at how I fold clothes like I'm packing a seabag, and is annoyed because I still wear
    flop sandals in the shower. So I guess you don't ever really get out of the Navy either.

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. werebear

werebear

Login to Send PM

Outstanding!

Til shade is gone, til water is gone. Into the shadow with teeth bared,
    Screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  21. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Our greatest asset as a nation. You should be proud, but I also know it's hard. He looks like one squared away Marine!

". . . I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul."
    - INVICTUS
    Posted 5 years ago #
  22. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fnord, I was in from 00-04 and miss it sorely. He is going to be taken to the limit but that's the Corps. I also like the Marine Corps philosophy on forging commissioned officers. It's done at the hands of enlisted men; people you will hear about from him called Sergeant Instructors. I know you are a proud papa as you should be! Do you know what field he wants to go to?

By the eternal! There is a man whose form should be cast in deathless bronze and the statue placed in every college in the land. It is not book-learning young men need, nor instruction about this and that, but a stiffening of the vertebrae which will cause them to be loyal to a trust, to act promptly, concentrate their energies; do the thing - "carry a message to Garcia!" Elbert Hubbard "A Message to Garcia" 1899
    Posted 5 years ago #
  23. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm overwhelmed by the kind words and fabulous responses from you all. Please know that I'm truly humbled to be his father.

I simply don't have the vocabulary to express the pride I have in him.

Bill and Devil Dog, we're expecting our first call from him this weekend. It'll be a swell Father's Day gift and I couldn't think of a better one with Susie, brother Sam and me nattering away at him. Susie and Sam will fly out for his OCS graduation and I'll go out when he graduates from the Basic School.

Dhizzy, in spite of the pressure to go infantry Ben wants to be a red leg. Becoming a cannon-cocker has always fascinated him - in spite of being damned near fluent in Korean and requesting an Intel berth at Camp Mujuk - I think his Corps career will consist of floating around on an MRU (Is that right? Mobile Response Unit?) in the IO or South China Sea.

Again, guys, thank you for allowing me the "proud papa" post.

Fnord

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. topd

TopD

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Something you'll never hear a Marine say, "I almost joined the Army!"

Steve 'Top' Downey
    Master Sergeant
    USMC - Retired
    Posted 5 years ago #
  25. carlomarx

carlomarx

Login to Send PM

Small world! Andy completed TBS May 7th and is home for a few days while on his way to Artillery School at Ft. Sill. Following Ft. Sill he will be assigned to 1st battalion 12th Marines at MCBH Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii. As I understand it, the other artillery units are at Camp Lejeune, Pendleton, and a unit that rotates between Okinawa and 29 Palms. While at K Bay he will spend some time afloat and in various training exercises in the Pacific. Artillery wasn’t his first choice but he definitely wanted a combat arms MOS and he would have preferred Pendleton but he’s more than OK with Hawaii.
    Please send my thanks and best wishes to Ben and his OCS platoon. You are rightfully proud of your son.
    Bill

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Vincere Vel Mori from your brothers to the north!!

"Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong." - Corinthians 16:13
    "Let us be English or let us be French . . . and above all let us be Canadians." – Sir John A MacDonald
    "The world was to me a secret which I desired to divine." - Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
    Posted 5 years ago #
  27. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep, you are close. I think what you are referring to is a MEU (Marine Expeditionary Unit.) I never got to go on a float but they are supposed to be one of the best experiences a Marine can have. Again, congrats to you and your family.

Posted 5 years ago #
  28. sailorjeremy

sailorjeremy

Login to Send PM

Congrats Jim! He made an excellent choice. Tell him to be good to his Corpsman!

~ Jeremy "Doc"

"This is not recreation, this is therapy. This is essential... I consider the tobacco I put in my pipe all the grief and suffering. And I will burn it.”- US Navy Chaplain (RET) A.P. Sholtes
    Posted 5 years ago #
  29. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OohRah Devil Doc!

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. brudnod

Spencer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was a conscientious objector during Vietnam. Wasn't the war that I objected to so much as a hatred of gun which stems from experiences in my childhood. I have tried to serve my fellow man in other ways and believe that I have done so well. That being said, I have great respect for anyone wearing the uniform of our (or "their" in cases of non-USA volunteers) country, salute them whenever they are around and just wish that they did not have to be in harm's way. As Memorial Day passed and the Fourth approaches, we all should say a prayer for those who serve. A special prayer for Ben...

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. crazypipe

Teddy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My brothers are always in my prayers.

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

plateauguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Outstanding, Jim! My thoughts and prayers for him and all of the other brave men in our military service.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jpmcwjr, loadclear, monkeylyf, tnfan, chasingembers, ben88, craig61a, loneredtree, alaskanpiper, josephcross, danimalia, thefishguy, ashdigger, lochinvar