PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
This is a seriously thin ribbon cut and moist enough that it clings together like a disc of thick damp thread, not so moist that it's difficult to light, but enough to cling together. This makes for an easy time packing the bowl such that it's draws perfectly and stays lit. It's scent is very English to me, the way I'd expect an English blend to be before I'd ever smoked one. This is a seriously awesome smoke! I've always read that's it's a close relative of Penzance and while I agree it's a relative, to me it's more cousin than sibling. An old friend of mine bought a brand new Aston Martin years ago. The smell of that new car, if you could smoke it, I think it would taste like Margate. It's all English wood and leather to me with very slight citrus. It gets better the more I smoke it. I seriously love this stuff, not as much as Penzance, but it's up there. I look forward to spending some time with this tobacco and I'll most defiantly be buying more the next time the opportunity arises.

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Margate is great. I actually like it better than Penzance. Just a great flavor profile and easy to pack and smoke.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I have got to try some Margate when I can find some! I have been smoking it's little brother, Pembroke for a few months and it's one of my favorites. I believe they're the same tobacco but Pembroke has a Cognac topping. Thanks for the pics Nate.

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
The tinder box locally is selling it with the "just like penzance, except in a shag/ribbon cut" line. I challenged the salesperson on this since I have done the "work" so-to-speak on whether it's the same (see my thread on plug pressed margate). Yes, it is close, and I rather enjoy it, however it is not "just like penzance."

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I'm really looking forward to trying this, I have a pound of it plus an 8 ounce bag of Pembroke, a few people I've talked to prefer Margate to Penzance, and I've tried Penzance and wasn't blown away by it. I'm sure maybe if I had enough of it to go through to properly sample it (50grams) maybe I'd fall in love with it, but having a few bowls of it I wasn't immediately thinking wow this is the holy grail. So I have higher expectations for Margate then Penzance, as I hear it's got more of an incense like quality, which is what I love in english blends.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I can't fathom anyone who claims to love English blends not loving Margate. In my eyes anyways, based on what I've smoked, it is the definitive English tobacco. The first time I smoked Penzance, a bag gifted to me, it had 15yrs of aging (2001). Prior to that, I had a tough time relating to descriptions of tobacco smoke as being "creamy" or "silky", but upon first taste I got it. That first bowl of Penzance was a revelation and it turned me into a bit of a tobacco snob in much the same way if someone's first time drinking wine was a 1953 Château Margaux. Since then I've smoked Penzance sans age and it's still really good, but not the same. I'll be VERY curious as to what Margate tastes like with 15yrs on it. If forced to pick between 2015 Margate vs 2015 Penzance.... it would be a tough choice, but aged Penzance, it's the best I've tasted by leaps n bounds. Every time I sample a tobacco I'm always trying to figure out how time will effect it. I see no difference between this and a fine Bordeaux. Anyone have any 15yr old Margate? :)

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
Great write up. I have a tin of Margate I am itching to pop open. How do you think the bags will keep? Transfer to jars or leave as is?

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I've had exactly one bowl of Margate.

A friend of mine had a jar full of it, and while visiting him he let me pack a bowl of it.

It was on the dry side, not quite crispy, but very dry none the less.

Now I'm a big Lat fan, but that bowl of Margate was a big disappointment to me. I had pretty high hopes for it, but couldn't bring myself to enjoy it.

Maybe it was too dry, but I just didn't like it.

matches

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2015
Dunedin, NZ
I've been really hoping to try some soon, though generally seems easier to get the 8oz that the tins. I'd be interested to know what you think of Margate vs Exotique when you've smoked some of the latter.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
esoterica is tough to get & pricey so this is my experience with the 8 oz bags -

when i emptied the bag to jar it by chance the bag was close to a lamp -

i could see light coming in in spots - the bag material creases & where there were creases the light could be seen so i expect it is not suggested to cellar it in the bags.
just my experience - usually one does not hold a bag up to the light so try it - i have had that experience with all their bags - no complaints though - the contents were still good. - just strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.