PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
My son cut a maple tree down some time back. It made me quite angry at the time but now I think Im gonna make the best of it, and make a pipe or two out of the wood. Its not big enough to carve bowl, and stummel out of one piece, so Im thinking something along the line of a Missouri Meerschaum hard wood.

Im gonna try to make it something like a cherrywood style hybrid, and maybe something like a system pipe too.

So one the stem will plug into the side of the bowl, and another the bowl bottom will plug into the stummel. If you can imagine that.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Sounds like a fun project! I'm also curious, I have a couple of MM Hardwoods and have never known what they are made out of. If anyone can tell me I'd appreciate it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A related question: When non-briar wood is used, do you try to get root stock, or do you just

use the trunk or limb wood, as you might for any wood working or carving project? With briar,

is it not exclusively the root or at least the lower portion that is used? I thought it was the root

portion that is fire resistant, so it can grow back after burn-offs, like a lightning strike caused

forest fire. This might help locopony if he has his choice of what part of the downed tree to use.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
It will be interesting being that I have little more than a pocket knife, hand drill, and some sand paper to work with.

estumpf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2013
I was told that the brier that is used comes from just above the root. Good luck on the project. Keep you blade sharp.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
locopony, I think it's great that you are doing this with basic tools. Nothing against the fully

equipped pipe carvers, but this is a real pilgrimage in pipe making you're on. Take your time,

and see what you can do. You might at least encourage some to give it a go with a kit, anyway.

I think you'll come up with a sharp pipe. You'll never look at a mid-level pipe as overpriced again!

Don't over-finish it; let the irregular parts stand, and I think it will finish itself through smoking.

But I'm ahead of the project here. Just enthusiastic to see what happens.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
As a woodturner, branch wood is good for firewood. Use only the trunk portion. Almost all problems will come from the very center, the pith. Cut up the wood, so that the pith becomes firewood. Then let it dry for about a year per inch thickness. Basically, if you want to try to make a working pipe, start with dry wood from another source. Your firewood pile might be acceptable. Use only hardwood.
Winton

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
I got the bowl bored and the stem stummel drilled. Tough chore with a hand drill. I gouged the inside of the bowl in a few places. Maybe if it smokes a good cake will cover those flaws. I'm a now sanding down the stem / stummel to get the shape smooth. Its a pretty difficult job with out lathes and drill presses. I think its gonna be pretty good. A bit rustic looking but cool none the less.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You have the fundamental smoking mechanics in place now. Congratulations! Now you can take your time

with the shaping and finishing. The carvers might have suggestions. In my limited experience with wood,

you have to feel out what the wood offers, what "it wants to do," and impose your ideas only with respect

to the grain and shape of the block you're working. It could be a good primitive look, or it may lead you

into making it more finished looking than you think. Good luck! Good work! As the New Englanders say,

good job done.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...locopony, an afterthought. This may be your son, with his cutting the maple, leading

you to this pipe. Ok, thats a little mystical, but ... it could be true.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/1025475_381866661925086_675172067_o.jpg
I hope this image link works. Im trying to do this from my droid phone. Lol.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
That looks great locopony! Well done. I turned a pipe bowl from maple once and I got a lot of wood ash taste for a while. If you can manage a cake in that it should smoke well.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Thanks guys.
As far as aging the wood foes that was my concern too. But I have plenty of wood sitting on my front porch. I saved much of it. this one was good practice. So as I make more and get better the wood will have aged more and more. Hopefully making sweeter pipes.

jeanpablo

Lurker
Feb 20, 2014
It is really a great idea and you are really making its correct use but I think so you should take time with the shaping and finishing and there are many other uses which you can make of it as one of them which is a maple cabinets.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I like it! I have a friend who makes this style of Pipe out of several different woods.

riskybusiness

Lurker
Feb 13, 2014
London, UK
I found a seller on Etsy who made "lord of the rings" style pipes. He has several hobbit and gandalf style pipes made in maple and myrtle wood.
I am aware that myrtle wood is one of the hardest, most slow growing woods around. I believe it is similar to desert iron wood.
If you are going to srart turning pipes out on the lathe, it would be prudent to go for the hardest woods possible (by the way, American hickory is very hard as well.)
Have fun! My father-in-law is a big fan of turning projects on the lathe in his workshop. He seems to have a great time with it. Apparently it is a very rewarding hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.