Tags:   

Maple Syrup Coating for MM Pipe Chamber

(9 posts)
  • Started 4 months ago by shermnatman
  • Latest reply from Panhandler
  1. shermnatman

shermnatman

Login to Send PM

I picked up a new MM for my collection on Friday while hanging-out at The TinderBox and observing some Backgammon play. A great many years ago I recall hearing about Old Codgers putting a thin coating of honey inside the chambers of their pipes to break them in smoothly. I have never done this with any of my briars, but way back when I got my first MM, I recalled the "honey trick", and decided to try it out on an inexpensive cob. When I went to the cupboard, we had no honey; but, we did have some Vermont maple syrup - so I used that as a substitute (and experiment). This worked out great.

Regarding the new MM I purchased on Friday, I did they same "trick" with the maple syrup again - just putting a thin coating all around the inner-walls and the bottom of the chamber of the bowl with my finger. I let the pipe sit to dry over Saturday, and fired it up this Sunday morning with a bowl full of good ol' 5 Brothers tabak, and kick-started the new pipe into action.

Absolutely delightful; and smoked like an old friend right off the bat.

So, I am sharing this variation on the old "honey trick", by using the maple syrup here; for those who might be interested in trying it the next time they buy a new cob.

Enjoy - Sherm Natman

Posted 4 months ago #
  2. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

Interesting idea. I'll give it a go the next time I buy a new cob.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 4 months ago #
  3. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I read through the whole post, but all I'm seeing is....

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 4 months ago #
  4. tulsagentleman

tulsagentleman

Login to Send PM

I always coat the bowl of any new pipe with Honey before the first smoke. The sugar carmelizes and helps to start a cake in the bowl. Also keeps the first few smokes of a new cob from tasting like corn. I expect any syrup would work as well. It's the sugar that makes it work.

Posted 4 months ago #
  5. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I have coated with honey, let it set overnite then fill with ash for the day. This tends to coat the inside well. Don't know wher I learned it but I have done it for years.

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 4 months ago #
  6. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Some bowl coating recipes I've heard of include a thin layer of maple followed by adding charcoal powder, shaking, and leaving for a week before smoking.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 4 months ago #
  7. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

Neat idea, thanks. I guess I'm in the right place for this method. Oh, and it's time to tap our trees.

Non Serviam
    Posted 4 months ago #
  8. onestrangeone

onestrangeone

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I get ready to break in a new pipe, cob or briar, I load it up and smoke it, repeat as needed. Hasn’t caused a problem yet. If coating the chamber with honey, molasses, syrup, grape jelly or ketchup works for you I say go for it!

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I get ready to break in a new pipe, cob or briar, I load it up and smoke it, repeat as needed. Hasn’t caused a problem yet. If coating the chamber with honey, molasses, syrup, grape jelly or ketchup works for you I say go for it!

Same here. I remember when I first started piping a few years ago, building a good cake was all the rage and if you were breaking in a new pipe, you must do this or must do that to get a good cake going as fast as possible.

Doesn’t seem like a big deal anymore and in fact, myself and others here prefer a very thin cake. Almost like a carbon layer as opposed to a thicker build up. I’ve seen many references to the thickness of a nickel etc. and that’s great but again, I prefer a thinner carbon like layer usually no thicker than a dime.

I’ve also never experienced a wholly unpleasant experience with a new pipe and yes of course it takes a few bowls to make it right. Also I find that I don’t really care for the pre-carbonized bowls and many times will knock it down with an automotive grade scotch brite pad. Not to bare wood but close.

I do enjoy the experimentation involved with smoking pipes and kudos to the OP for trying something different.

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   paulfg, donjgiles, nunnster, lightxmyfire, ben88, pipestud, troyniss, sasquatch