PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbates55

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2017
While this isn't really a corn cob pipe it is patterned after a MM cob pipe and uses one of their shanks and bits. As may you may have guessed from the title the bowl is made from Maple wood (From a branch of the tree in my yard).
Maple%20Cob%201-s.jpg

Maple%20Cob%202-s.jpg

Maple%20Cob%203-s.jpg

Maple%20Cob%204-s.jpg

I went for a natural finish on this pipe, so I only treated the bowl with a clear finish.

Maple%20Cob%205-s.jpg

cbates55

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2017
@aquadoc To be truthful I'm not totally sure on how well they hold up. Also I'm not sure which type of maple wood is the best type to use...

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Very nice...that's a great looking pipe!

Hope she's a good smoker too. Enjoy. :puffy:

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Sugar maple has the hardest, densest wood of all of the maples. As for the part of the tree with the densest wood, I imagine the oldest, mid-trunk will be the densest. A good strong limb should be plenty dense. Red maple is also fairly dense/hard but not in the same range as sugar maple. I bet a stummel made of tiger wood from a sugar maple would be amazing.
The NASPC has an interesting article on different woods and it had this excerpt on rock maple (aka sugar maple):
"Maple burl. I made three pipes out of sound, unspalted rock maple burl--corner cutoffs from a bowl blank. (Spalt is rot in the early stages. Back in Maine, we called spalted wood dozy [doughzee]. Two of the pipes went to collectors who haven't smoked them. The third was commissioned by a gentleman who wanted a big pipe to fit his hands (2 1/8" tall, 6 3/4" long, 3/4" thick walls, weight: 3 oz.). Its owner, Douglas Walker, sent me these comments on the pipe for this article: "Tim has created for me a pipe, which in contrast to its imposing stature, is quite light, and comfortable to smoke. Having had most of my smoking experience with briar pipes, I was quite pleased to have a pipe smoke like a dream from bowl one! The mild aromatic I chose for this pipe did not change the outer wall temperature one bit, and there was no need for building a carbon 'cake' in the bowl for a nice smooth flavor. The characteristics of the shape and maple together blended like a new found love, leaving me to be the joyous voyeur! I have been smoking this pipe for nearly five months now, and each bowl smokes as well as the first."

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
What I did not know is that you coat the bowl of new pipes with maple syrup for the first few smokes. Should I have done this for reamed and cleaned bowls?

cbates55

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2017
Mike Rose on the FB page Corn Cob Nation says he coats the bowl chamber with honey after it is made and then lets it soak in for 2 weeks then just before smoking it the first time puts another coat of honey. Then he fills it with tobacco lights it up and smokes it. Then next one I make I will do this for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.