PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
On a recent thread I asked forum members to recommend some American VaPer flakes for me to try. I already had a little experience with the few I bought but was hunting out more.
I got a PM from Johnbarleycorn offering to send me some samples if I was interested. I pointed out that as I live in the UK it might be expensive but he was fine with that.
A few days later a package arrived with six generous samples and below are my thoughts on them...
Peretti: London Flake. According to many reviewers on Tobaccoreviews.com, this blend is just rebadged McClelland #2015. I could not disagree more with that. First off there is no ketchup aroma (actually #2015 has very little compared to their straight Virginias) from the broken flakes. Secondly the colour is not as dark, this being more mid brown than dark brown. I also detected less Perique in this than in #2015.
Suitably aired I loaded up and it took to the flame quite easily. As mentioned, the lower Perique content is noticeable but at the same time you certainly know it is there. More fruity than spicey, this is a pretty mild VaPer but that is no complaint, this would make for a great introduction to the genre for someone new to such.
I found it to be a rather hot burner despite gentle puffing and the further down the bowl I got, the less I tasted the Perique. 7/10
GLP Sixpence: I was a little wary of this one as it is supposed to have some sort of liquor topping and I tend to steer myself away from such blends. However I needn't have worried as I could neither smell nor taste anything remotely like liquor in this blend so it must be very lightly applied.
This is unusual inasmuch as it is a VaPer with added Kentucky leaf, the first I have ever come across! Mid chocolate brown broken flakes that rubbed out easily and smelled delightful. I found the Perique to be pretty mild in this blend and would have preferred a little more but I think the Kentucky component more than makes up for that. The Perique being more spicey than sweet matches well with the earthy nuttiness of the Kentucky.
This is a really creamy smoke when gently sipped and for me, quite a slow burner. I did find it got a little harsh if I tugged on it too much but that is no fault in the blend, just my eagerness to get more flavour. 8/10
GLP Haddo's Delight: This is the only ribbon cut in my sample set, the others being broken flakes. In the bag it smelled both earthy and fruity sweet, the latter presumably from the alleged rum topping. Quite moist to the fingers I aired out enough for a bowl and fired up. Immediately I tasted a sweetness that I'm not sure was the topping or the Perique but whatever it was it was very pleasant.
This I would say is the strongest of the bunch, likely down to the Burley content. It also produced the most smoke. Throughout the entire smoke I never tasted the typical flavours of Perique that I am familiar with so I would guess there is less of that leaf in this blend than the others. Alas, being a ribbon cut the smoke was over far too quickly for me (part of the reason I generally avoid such) but it was a pleasant smoke while it lasted. 6/10
Briarworks: Back Down South. This is a broken flake (or at least it was when it arrived in Blighty) of medium to dark brown with a very interesting aroma. Sweet and slightly spicy and dare I say it slightly perfume like...not in an offensive way but interesting nonetheless. Suitably aired I loaded up my bent bulldog and fired up.
Immediately there was a burst of flavours that told me I was going to enjoy this blend. Not overly heavy on the Perique but you certainly know it's there, dried Christmas fruits sprung to mind. I don't know if this has a cocoa topping on it but I swear I could detect chocolaty flavours now and then once the bowl was burning proper. Towards the end of the bowl the flavours seemed to peter out somewhat but not entirely thankfully. 8/10
GLP Fillmore: This blend I bought a tin of last year not knowing it contained Latakia. Not being a fan of that particular leaf I think I managed all of three bowls afore I gave up. The sample John sent me however was slightly different inasmuch as it appears to have less of that evil weed. I could just detect it in the bag but unfortunately for me I could taste it in the smoke. As it was a gift I felt obliged to struggle on with it.
For me the Latakia content (though Mr. Pease claims it is very lightly applied) overwhelmed any Perique that is in the blend, so much so I was barely aware it actually had any Perique. I did manage to get through three bowls over several days and though the experience wasn't as unpleasant as my first outing with this blend, I fear I shall not buy it again. 5/10
Low Country Waccamaw: Now this is a classy Vaper make no mistake. The smell from the Ziploc bag was just mouthwatering, sweet, slightly spicy and just begging to be smoked. This blend is unusual inasmuch as it claims to contain oriental leaf which I understand is Izmir and I think the inclusion of that condimental is what makes this so special.
Also, no mean handedness with the Perique, so fruity and a tad spicy at the same time. This really is a cracker of a blend. Sipped slowly the flavours kept coming right to the end of the bowl, only the occasional relight being required. Also I reckon this was the slowest burner of all the samples. 8/10
All blends were first smoked in a Blakemar bent bulldog then in an Upshall bent Rhodesian. After that a Parker bent Dublin was used and the experiences were pretty consistent whichever pipe was used though I think I preferred mostly the bent bulldog. The exception was the Haddo's Delight which seemed to smoke best in the Parker.
My esteemed tobacco enabler has already sourced (and now posted) me some Sixpence and some Back Down South, the Waccamaw and London Flake are still being sought out.
So, very many thanks to Johnbarleycorn for his kindness in giving me the opportunity to sample these blends...I take my hat off to you squire :clap:
Regards,
Jay.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Sixpence was one of the first "boutique" blends I tried and loved it. My one complaint then and now (with over a year in the jar even) is that I think the flavor starts to diminish after the halfway point. Regardless, it turned me on to Dark Fired Ky..and for that I'm thankful.
You should post up a pic of your Parker bent dublin..is it more recent or an older make?
How hard is it to get your hands on Esoterica blends over there? I've quite enjoyed Dunbar and Dorchester, but both need a bit of drying out.

Dec 28, 2015
You are very welcome Jay. I really enjoyed reading your reviews. Your opinion of each blend is nearly spot on with mine. Glad I could have a part in your vivid descriptions of these blends and that it might help others who may not have tried some of these.

txpiper07

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2017
Great reviews! I find it very interesting, growing up in a commonwealth country I always thought of pipe smoking as a very British hobby, and that impression is still in my mind but it appears that the American tobacco industry now produces far more blends, or at least designer blends? When I imagine pipe smoking, I still think of it as quintessentially British, I guess your posts about American tobacco always catch me off guard for some reason. Fascinating how early life experiences stick with us for so long! Sorry for the sidetracked post, just thought I’d share. Great reviews! I’m also looking forward to trying more Vapers, have some coming in the mail next week

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
BluegrassBrian, I now think my Parker bent Dublin is more accurately a Zulu. Whatever it is, below are the three pipes I used for the first three bowls of each blend.
The rest was smoked in whatever pipe took my fancy at that time.
Blakemar...
2x31-600x400.jpg

Upshall...
4x25-600x400.jpg

Parker...
1x30-600x400.jpg

As for the availability of Esoterica blends I have to say I have never seen them advertised anywhere but then I have never sought them out either.
Txpiper07, good luck with your VaPers, be sure to write up a few words once you have enjoyed them, we all like to read what folks have to say about various blends :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Just heard on the grapevine that my enabler has sourced me some Low Country Waccamaw and some Peretti London Flake to go with the Sixpence and Back Down South...I'm in heaven :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"That birdseye on the Parker is...fetching."
Brian, the other side has the same bird's eye and it always reminds me of the camouflage of a giraffe...not your usual tight bird's eye. I bought it new last year for about £36 in a local-ish B&M. Covered in dust it looked as though it had been there for years.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.